Chapter V: Reasons

Éponine was totally absentminded when she asked him what exactly was that particular reason. Enjolras was the one to shrug that time. "I'm neither a mind reader nor a fortune-teller, all right?"

She rolled her eyes playfully, not knowing what else to say. "You will figure it out in the fullness of time." He glanced at her with thoughtfulness and beamed, which she gladly returned with a nod of affirmation.

"It's as if I can wait no longer." Her entire visage suddenly turned serious, much to Enjolras's wonder. He knew the lass to be carefree. Although he rarely notices her presence, he's never seen her so humorless before.

"It will come, and you'll get to that, trust me. . . . Have faith and patience." Patience was a virtue still and all.

Then, her urge for interrogation had him shortly taken back, "What if my reason of existence was not even that meaningful and substantial after all?" He looked away abruptly, scratching his nape yet again. Éponine appeared to have an undying thirst for answers to burning questions, and he was well aware about that.

He cleared his throat, "Well, you should not be looking at things that way. I sharply deem that the purpose of a splendid young woman like you is deliberately vital." He meant it. The young lady in front of him seemed totally hopeful. She was full of promise, and overflowing with certainty.

Éponine felt herself redden and unknowingly grin. She marveled at the thought of Enjolras frankly having faith in her own future.

"Do welcome warmly that purpose with all you've got when it unveils itself at last."

She's esteemed she's got nothing more to tell. It was as if she was a gun, and he was the silencer. So Éponine just pensively reckoned his words--his witty and penetrating words.

To her, he sounded like an over-the-hill old boy possessing cosmopolitan experience. Enjolras appears to be so sagacious and wise. He was indeed a scholar.

Awaking her from her thoughts, "I don't intend to disqiuet your contemplation, but look; it seems like the day is approaching its finish." Then she observed hurriedly the firmament. The sun was now bowing down across the formerly lit skyline. Her entire visage fell. She's regarded it to be too early to end their discourse as well.

"Oh yeah, um, we must get going I guess." Éponine was quite unhappy that it had to finish too soon. She wasn't truthfully certain if she would have the opportunity to have another intelligent discussion with the marble man again.

She saw him smile warmly, "I hope to see you soon." Enjolras quickly stood up, and he faced the skyline hesitantly. Éponine imitated his gesture, but faced the guy instead.

Then, her dull face lit up like sunshine, "That will be tomorrow, I presume?" She had an optimistic grin that beautified her whole countenance . . . until Enjolras seriously shook his head.

Confusion took over her expression, and was furthered by his bewildering inquiry, "Do you know why I've remained here longer today?"

Now, that took Éponine by surprise. She stared at Enjolras skeptically, "Well I've been wanting to. . . . Wait, you don't know that I've been there watching you all this time, do you?"

He giggled for the nth time that day. Enjolras seemed bizarre when he did. Éponine's eyes frantically widened, "You do?!" She was evidently freaking out in the inside. She had her wide-open mouth covered by her hands.

Enjolras combed his locks yet again with his delicate fingers as he smiled sheepishly, "Yes. Now, do you honestly wish to discern why I've stayed longer?"

Éponine heavily sighed, still astonished, "Um, yes please." She awkwardly put her sweaty hands in her head in utter perplexity.

The blond man gave off a small and timid beam, still refusing to stare at her directly. "I planned to spend the leftover time I've got in here, wandering about." Then he chortled lightly, "This university undeniably causes me boredom up to the tip of my bones, yet I know that I'll be missing everything when I'm gone."

Éponine tried to instantly process all the recent pieces of information, but they bombarded her mind very much that she couldn't absorb even just a single detail.

"leftover time"

"when I'm gone"

Before her mind could even produce the image of Enjolras's demise, he looked at her at last, "I shall be leaving the country tonight." His eyes had an unusual gloomy glow, presumably attempting to empathize with her.

Éponine felt relieved, at least he was not dying.

Still, she could not comprehend why she had sensed a completely numb feeling in her chest at that moment. "Oh, then I . . . uh, bon voyage!" It was seemingly feigned excitement. Nobody would be gleeful at a loved one's sudden departure.

"Well, I sincerely pray you would have a safe trip." She grinned. It was a real one this time--real like her good wishes. He, too, smiled a thank you.

"May I know why?" Éponine eyed him brightly, and right then, he looked away and scratched his head meekly.

She sensed his anticipated discomfort, and faced her toes awkwardly. Éponine was about to apologize when he announced, "You see, I am ought to study in an international academy."

She let out an soft oh, and there it was again--her bungling speechlessness. He didn't mind anyway. Enjolras holds reverence for silence. He enjoys the peace of mind it brings about him.

Éponine had one more thought disturbing her brain though. "I don't aspire to seem discourteous by acting too intrusive, but I wish to be informed about one more thing if you don't mind?"

Fading away the tension she's felt, he chortled playfully, and gracefully placed his hands inside the pocket of his black jeans, "It really depends, you know."

Éponine took a deep breath, and dared, "Why don't you try to do your lungs a favor, and free them of burden? Why do you smoke persistently?" She's been desiring for his earnest intention behind this mysterious enigma ever since the first time she's seen him smoke.

Yet, his comeback did not satisfy, "I believe you have learned a lot about me already, miss. What you're aware of is quite enough." Enjolras simpered mischievously and decided to look at Éponine.

The young lady's cheeks flushed with crimson hue in, "Right, I'm sorry."

As natural as ever, he gestured negation using his hands and head, "Oh no, no, please don't be."

To her blasting and ringing heart's relief, he smiled. He actually did! He just smiled at her yet again, and she could swear she has sensed unruly butterflies inside her. It was a completely peculiar smile. It was different, and Éponine didn't know what made it so.

Moments later they were just there, aimlessly and hopelessly staring at each other. Maybe adoring their respective sights for supposedly the last time. Maybe she was cherishing every second that she was still able to observe all of him. Maybe he was considerately heedful enough to not grant her the chance, so he reasoned to himself to just let her be.

"The sun is surrendering its rule to the darkness of nightfall. I highly infer you should be heading home." Enjolras proclaimed as he eyed her, stone-cold. He was back to being the marble man.