Chapter 14 - invention

Anastasia and Aunt Marilyn fell silent once more. They both looked at Jamie, eyes widened. A moment of silence passed, where you could almost hear the cogs turning in Marilyn's head. She burst into a grin and said:

"Doyoon, that's perfect! We could definitely do that!"

Anastasia felt the infection grin split a smile across her own face as Jamison visibly melted into his seat a bit more. Anastasia spoke up.

"Hologram stones are basically just mana stones that had been built to shape and then have mana manipulate them with a blueprint in mind right?"

Jamie nodded.

"Then we just have to research the different capabilities phones have, wield the stones into shape and boom- we have a mana phone right?"

Her voice shook with excitement. They were going to bring something into this world that would change life as a whole! Marilyn agreed with just as much excitement dripping in her own voice. She ushered the two of them to follow her to the king's office, where her husband was working on paperwork. He was surprised at her sudden intrusion.

"Hello dear, it's unusual for you to pop by without letting me know beforehand, what's wro- oh!"

He startled once more at seeing Jamison and Anastasia standing behind his wife.

"Jamie! Stasia! The two of you were here too?"

They both nodded, eyes still alit from their discovery. The queen walked up to his desk and gently placed his feather fountain pen down, dragging him up by his hands, eyes sparkling like the two kids behind them.

"Honey! Take a break, we have an amazing idea that NEEDS to go through!"

The king laughed at his wife's childishness and kissed her on the head as he arose from his desk. He turned to look behind Anastasia, prompting her to do the same. She was greeted with the sight of the king's advisor who did not look too pleased. She giggled as he let out a heavy sigh and said,

"You have 30 minutes to spare, Your Majesty but anymore will put us severely behind and cannot be condoned."

The two kids in the room laughed at the king who scrunched his nose at his advisor, pulling his wife to the table in the side room next door. Anastasia and Jamison followed behind, taking seats at the small, round table. Maids, sent by the advisor, immediately set out tea and left just as quickly as they had arrived. Marilyn immediately spilled the news, informing him of the plan and taking out her own phone to remind him of the different capabilities and functions.

"..it's perfectly possible! It's just that no one has ever seen a phone before and there was no idea about envisioning such an item!"

The king nodded his head slowly, thinking about the invention.

"Yes... this could work well."

—————

For the rest of the days after school, Anastasia and Jamison would finish their homework as quickly as possible before making their way to the headmistress' office to aid in planning and researching the phone capabilities. It was a difficult job, but the experimentation side of things was fun. The Queen ordered for lots of mana stones that they would test on, inputting their mana to see and record the changes. This research and testing phase lasted about 6 months, when finally, half way through the school year, the perfect prototype was created by Jamison. It had the appearance of a fairly thin phone but, since it was made of mana stone, it looked to be 'glassy' and was translucent, being the colour of the mana stone used to create it. Because of this, the phone screen was tinted in the colour of the glass-like stone, but that would be fine. The mana phone was limited in the case of apps but that was something that could be fixed by embedded mana that allowed Jamison to add features from a distance- like software updates. There were also changes that couldn't be helped- like how facetimes were hologram calls- meaning that you would appear out of the screen.

The trio began to make more, before experimenting on adding certain apps that would be like their own social media apps. Anastasia and Jamie spent days and nights of the weekends at the palace, working for hours at a time and not allowing interruptions. They discovered new things about their own phones- like how they could interact with mana phones by calling and messaging, and by mana manipulation, they could also hologram call mana phones. This was the way the phone had been made to adapt to this new world.

Aunt Marilyn had decided to prepare an open conference to the people and nobles, to show off the product and explain how it functioned. The same conference was shown at the school, to all students. There was an incredible reaction, the majority good and willing to see how the invention changed the country of Kou. The products were mass produced and were under a company under the queen's control. However, the phones themselves would not be spread until Anastasia's third year at the academy.

———————————————————————

chapter over- a new time skip's next! That's it for today!