Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Dear Elder Caelum,

As you know from my previous letters, I have been preparing Tenebris for his appearance at the Autumnal Equinox festival tomorrow night. After 2 weeks of preparation, I am pleased to inform you that Tenebris is making wonderful progress. He is much happier than when I first encountered him and he hasn’t thrown a temper tantrum in 5 days, which I think is exceptional on his part! I would like to thank you for believing in Tenebris and also for agreeing to stall any Solem officials from seeing Tenebris at the festival. I look forward to seeing you there and I can’t wait for you to meet Tenebris!

Sincerely, Your friend,

Lux

I folded the letter, placed it in an envelope, licked the lid, and handed it to the village postman.

“Please give this letter to Elder Caelum of the Solem Council and only to Elder Caelum,” I said, “Tell him it’s from an important informant of his.” The postman nodded and left to deliver my letter. I walked out of the village post office and walked out of town to Tenebris’s castle. I knocked on the door, which flew open. Two large shadows stood in front of me, showing themselves in the form of black misty wolves. Their eyes glowed yellow and mist of the same color came from them. I pet their heads gently, making their foggy tails wag back and forth.

“Good morning, shadows,” I said, “Thank you for letting me in.” I wasn’t sure if the shadows understood me, but I liked talking to them anyway.

“Good shadows,” Tenebris said from inside. I looked up and suddenly he was standing directly behind the shadows. He smiled at me and waved his hand. “Now be gone with you, shadows. Leave us be.” The shadows fanished in a moment and Tenebris hugged me gently.

“I hope I wasn’t gone for too long,” I said, hugging Tenebris back, “The line at the post office was outrageous.” Tenebris chuckled and ran his fingers through my hair.

“It’s fine, sweet Lux,” he replied, “We are happy to see you back.” I giggled and held Tenebris’s hand.

“Are you ready for lessons today?” Tenebris nodded.

“I’m ready to learn.” I smiled and Tenebris took me into his bedroom. The bedroom was where my lessons in socializing would always occur. Tenebris sat down on the edge of his bed, as usual, and we did a few deep breathing exercises to relax.

“Okay,” I said, “today I was thinking we could work on your speech.” Tenebris looked at me, his head tilted a little in confusion.

“What’s wrong with the way We speak?”

“Oh no Tenebris! There’s nothing wrong with the way you talk!”

“Then why must we ‘work on’ it?”

“Well, I noticed you always speak kinda loudly.” Tenebris sat up straight, very professionally, and closed his eyes.

“But of course,” he replied, “Many books We have read from Mother and Father’s library say that is the correct way for Nocte royalty to speak.”

“Royalty?” Tenebris nodded.

“Mother and Father were the head of the Nocte people. Being their son, We inherited our place as Prince of the Night.”

“Oh!” I said surprised and intrigued. “That explains why you speak using the royal We.” Tenebris nodded once again.

“We must assert our regality and our superiority when addressing the peasants.” I twirled my index finger on my brown cover-up in thought.

“Tenebris, I think in order to make you more approachable to the villagers, you might want to speak without using the royal We.”

“But We are of royal Nocte blood!”

“I know,” I said softly, “but the villagers won’t like it if you act as if you’re better than them, even though you might be really. I only want what’s best for you, Tenebris.” Teneris looked annoyed, but sighed and looked up at me.

“How should we speak then, dear Lux?”

“Okay, first you’re gonna wanna lower the volume a little.” Tenebris spoke softer than normally.

“Like this?” I nodded.

“Good job! Now, I want you to speak without the royal We, just for a little.” Tenebris took a small deep breath and spoke.

“I don’t see how speaking this way will make me more acceptable, Lux.” I giggled. It was weird hearing Tenebris use first person pronouns for once.

“Think of it as...using village colloquialism! Yeah!”

“Oh, well, when you put it that way, I see how it works.” I hugged Tenebris.

“I’m so proud of you, Tenebris.” Tenebris blushed and hugged me back.

“Lux, I’m have to admit...I’m a little nervous...”

“Don’t be,” I said, playing with Tenebris’s hair, “it’s gonna be fine, you’ll see. And everyone will see how special you are.” Tenebris smiled and blushed lightly, kissing my nose softly.

“Thank you, Lux, for your assistance. I’m excited to see the village. We-...I mean, I don’t remember what it looks like, especially in the daylight.”

“It’s small,” I said, “but the architecture is gorgeous! Also, there’s beautiful flowers that grow everywhere!” Tenebris’s eyes widened in awe.

“That sounds lovely! Tell me more!” I giggled.

“Well, you can smell bread baking in the bakery from anywhere in town! And I’m sure during the festival there will be music heard from everywhere!” Tenebris sighed happily.

“It all sounds so wonderful.” I nodded. “Lux, when perhaps you could show me your cottage in the village? I would love to see where you live.” I gulped. I had forgotten that Tenebris still thought I was just a villager. I wondered when I would tell Tenebris the truth, or if I would ever tell him the truth. I sighed and said,

“Maybe, if we have time.” Tenebris giggled and kissed my cheek, making me blush bright red. “But they’ll be so much more fun things to do.” Tenebris yawned as sunlight beckoned in through the windows. I smiled as he rested his head in my lap like a child. I stroked his hair in a pacifying manner, Tenebris cooing as I did so. He smiled sleepily.

“I can’t wait,” whispered Tenebris. “We’re going to have so much fun. Just like before.” I laughed softly.

“Yes, you are going to have a lotta fun.” Tenebris shook his head slowly.

“No,” said Tenebris as he held my hand, “we are going to have a lotta fun.” I sighed softly as Tenebris fell asleep in my lap. I looked out the window and watched the sunrise, thinking about all the good that would come from the coming day...but good was not the right word to describe it...