Prologue

hello dear readers. 

Welcome to all new readers to the story and thank you to the current readers. my aim for this novel is to be as authentic as possible. therefore I will be making some changes to the current rankings and terms as I see fit. currently, I'm only making a change to the harem rankings. this will be significant in later parts of the novel as it progresses.

Rank  1. Empress (皇后; huáng hòu)

Rank 2. Imperial noble Consort (貴人; guì rén)

Rank 3. Beauty (美人; měi rén)

Rank 4. Virtuous Lady (良人; liáng rén)

Rank 5. Consort (八子; bā zi)

Rank 6.Lady (七子; qī zi)

Rank 7. Senior Palace Woman (長使; zhǎng shǐ)

Rank 8.Junior Palace Woman (少使; shǎo shǐ.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bai Yu Chen has been having the worst day. someway, somehow, he must have committed great atrocities to deserve divine retribution. There was no other way to explain the bad luck he was experiencing.He had woken up late this morning because for some reason his alarm had decided to take a vacation. The water in the shower had stopped mid-wash resulting in a very cold bottle wash. in his haste to get dressed, he had stepped on his phone resulting in a broken screen as well an injured sole. this is how Bai Yu Chen found himself running to catch the bus after missing his train by another stroke of bad luck. Yu Chen had only just stepped onto the crossing when the car hit him. it sent him rolling 4 ft on to the pavement, lying there in a great amount of pain with his blood filling his lungs. all he could think about was what he could have done to upset a deity.

Yu Chen had nothing to do but float around in this dark space. After his painful death his soul had woken up in this space. there was nothing around him no light, no sound, and no air. just complete stillness. he didn't know how long he has been there but with all this time he couldn't help but be bitter about the abrupt end to his life. Yu Chen had been an orphan for as long as he could remember, his parents had perished in an unfortunate motor incident leaving him the sole survivor. he had remembered waking up in the hospital to the pity of the nurses. as a young child he had felt nothing but confusion. after his recovery he had been led to an orphanage until his relatives could be found.

it had taken 3 months of him being at the orphanage before a family member showed up. Yu Chen had been taken in by a maternal uncle. the remainder of his stay with them had been hell. his good uncle and the wife had used the life insurance money left by his parents to further their two children's education into prestigious universities, bought a good house in the city and even started a flourishing business. in terms of the nephew they had taken in, they never had enough for him, he was given old hand me downs to wear. he was the last person thought about during mealtimes and often times went without food for the whole day. as grew older, he had to work at his uncle shop in order to get his uncle to pay his tuition fees as well as work at a car wash in order o save some money for his expenses. all his experiences had made Bai yu chen into a possessive, strong and ambitious person. he did not like when others took what belonged to him neither did he like sharing his things. he had worked hard to earn an scholarship at a good university majoring in history, and literature. he had achieved an internship at a prestigious anthropology university with a good salary and accomadation. finally he was moving up in life despite his unfortunate beginning only to meet with a bitter end.

Floating in this void Bai Yu Chen was filled with malice for the deity that he thought put him in this situation.

Deity: "....." " this has nothing to do with me ah.

the thought had just crossed his mind when a bright light emanated and sucked him out with it.

Yu Chen: "...."

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

author's corner

hi,

I know the prologue is a bit bland but their will be more details later in the story. this story is not edited and there might be some spelling and grammar mistakes. let me know and I'll fix it. I have tried my hardest to make this story as authentic to ancient Chinese culture as I can. I've put a lot of research into this, however there may be some inaccuracies. all helpful corrections are welcome.