A job

Disclaimer: This chapter is a bit darker than the ones before have been.

--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--{}--

Alain ran his fingers through his hair in irritation as he paced around the presidential office in Lumiose. He had just gotten back from farming the mega evolution energy he so desperately needed from Shalour when one of his officers walked in with news.

"Uhh, sir, Mr. Alain, my lord... It's about the kids, the runner up and his gang..." The conversation replayed in his head time and time again.

"What about them? Have you found Ash yet?" He questioned impatiently. Alain had done a good job so far of keeping track of all his citizens, however Ash, Serena, Clemont, Korrina, and Bonnie were all completely off the radar.

"Well ummm... Technically we have. However, sir, there's a high likelihood you won't like where we found them."

"What do you mean Gaston, where could they have been that would be so problematic to you and the resources I've given you?"

"Well..."

"In fact, bring them in, I want to have them admit what they've been doing in the past 6 months."

"Alain, sir, that's the thing..."

"You did apprehend them, didn't you?" Alain glared at his officer.

"Come to the other room sir, we've uhh, got something to show you..."

He followed Gaston into the lounge of the presidential building of Kalos where a couple of employees were gathered around intently watching the TV.

"It's a match, what's the big deal?" Alain asked after noticing the lack of the runaways' presence in the room.

"Give it a watch sir..." Gaston insisted. Alain made his way through the dozens of employed gathered around the TV and looked at what was on.

"Now Noivern, Boomburst!" A voice from the battle being shown yells. A Noivern and a Pikachu can be seen battling it out with a Flygon and a Gigalith. Alain's eyes widened in realisation at who the trainer shown on screen was.

"This is a gym match in Galar, Ketchum is fighting the strongest gym leader in the region." An employee seated on the orange sofa said.

"How the fuck is he in Galar?!" Alain yelled. "How did he get out of the country?!"

"We looked at the travel records, sir, there was only one plane that left Kalos since you closed the borders." Gaston explained hesitantly.

"And why was that plane allowed to take off?" Alain glared even harder at the officer.

"We're not entirely sure, but the people who should've been involved with stopping them mentioned a lot of money being handled."

"So the biggest threat to our hold on Kalos was let out of the country because of a bribe?"

"We confiscated the money they received, if that makes you feel better." Gaston smiled, taking out the briefcase that was donated to the airport security officer the day before.