One Fake Joker Down

I am so happy when the bell rings because I can get up and stretch my legs. I hibernate my computer and slide it into my backpack. Everyone else has already begun to leave the classroom and I am the last student to exit through the door when I finally hear the teacher talk.

"Class dismissed."

It is said like an afterthought, like an automatic message executed by a computer; Mr. Wozniak does not even look up from the screen, his eyes permanently fixed on code that is probably going to be worth millions when he is done. As a tenured teacher, he has nothing to worry about from the administration, probably only "teaching" one class a day and the rest devoted to his research.

I make my way towards the main building for my world history class when I see an altercation. Illena is getting pummeled by Joker? Blinking to clear my eyes, I look closely at the auras of Illena and Joker. Illena's is sky-blue like her eyes but the Joker's aura is not the bright gold of John's. Instead, this fake Joker's aura is a deep magenta, and it is obvious that their abilities are not a modification of Illena's strength. This Joker's power lies in deflection, which would normally be a purely defensive ability but is currently being utilized as an offensive technique by redirecting the deflected attacks against Illena.

Many of the students are actively avoiding the scene, turning around, and heading down different hallways or taking a different staircase. No one is willing to interfere, though many are muttering about the increased number of fights during the school day.

Hypocrites! They are being the worst kind of bystanders by ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away on its own. Deciding to act, I try to separate Illena and this phony. Taking out one of the daisies in my hair, I crush it up in my hand to dislodge the seeds from the ovaries, then extend my hand in front of my face and blow to disperse them in the direction of the fighting students.

As these minute seeds fall upon Illena and the phony Joker, they bloom in mid-air becoming larger and larger daisies. This unexpected shower causes the fake Joker to release Illena and they both turn around to look at me in annoyance. Before either of them have a chance to say anything to me, Blyke walks into the scene.

"Everyone get back to class."

The few remaining stragglers in the hallway enter their respective classrooms, so only Blyke, Illena, the Joker, and I remain. He looks at me and gestures towards the daisies, and I shrug my shoulders. It worked, didn't it? On the plus side, now the hallway smells less like teenage boys and more like a spring field.

He helps Illena get up off the floor and asks her if she needs to go to the infirmary. She shakes her head and rips her arm away from Blyke.

"I can handle myself."

She rudely stomps away but Blyke makes no further remark towards her. Rather, he grabs the Joker by the shoulder and directs him to an empty classroom. Before he closes the door, he says "Wait here. I'd like to talk with you after."

Oh bother! I was going to be late for world history on my first day! I tap my foot on the floor but in less than five minutes he comes out of the classroom with the Joker mask in his hand. He stuffs it into his backpack and motions for me to follow him.

"I saw what you did back there. Daisies? I can honestly say I've never seen anyone stop a fight with daisies."

"Daisies are symbolic of new beginnings. I thought it was fitting as a way of introducing myself. Who says flowers can't be pretty and useful in a fight?" I said with a devious look and a giggle.

He smiles a bit but then returns to the frown that he's been wearing ever since he put a stop to the fight.

"I just don't want you hurt. It's your first day, right? No one should spend their first day in the infirmary. Especially with what's been going on."

"What has been going on? That was not the real Joker."

Pulling me behind a supporting beam, and lowering his voice even further, he responds.

"You're right that was not the real Joker."

He looks at me closely and finally realizes who I am. The plant manipulation, the knowledge of Joker, a new face at Wellston.

"You? You're the girl who stopped the fight on Friday."

"Yes, I'm the girl who grew the hedge between you guys and the Joker on Friday."

He takes a step back, suspicion in his eyes.

"So you're on his side?", he says angrily. His eyes are already beginning to glow as he starts to lose control of his emotions.

"Do you know how many he's hurt? How many he's put in the hospital? How can you side with him? Are you so weak that you think he won't betray you without a second thought? Cecile joined him and she still ended up in the infirmary!"

All pretense of keeping his voice down is gone as his rant goes on. His cheeks turn bright red like an overripe tomato and his hands begin to glow.