“He?”

“C.M. Strauss.”

“I don’t know. Why?”

“Nothing,” she chuckled. “You should ask him out.”

“Why do you assume I want to date him?” She smiled at the boyish looking cashier, whose ears had almost sprung up at the mention of Council member Strauss. He eyed the components of her cart, gave her one look, and then pursed his lips. She blinked a few times at his reaction, but quickly ignored it.

“Have you seen him?! He is a walking wet dream. All the girls want him.”  

“Exactly.”

“Cut yourself some slack. You’re funny, and you look hot… when you brush your hair,” the friend strained.

“It’s the humidity! I brush my hair.”

“I believe you,” she handed the man her card, and watched as he clicked on his board. “Even if the humidity in section 78 is like 21% all year round.”

He handed her back a document to sign with the amount of calories in the food she had purchased, and disclaimer that she was aware of the dangers of a non-healthy life style, and that she agreed that the government would not cover any medical treatment costs incase of any linked illnesses.

“Do I have to sign this every time?”

“Rules,” the cashier said before hissing under his breath.

She smiled at him like daubed wallpaper, and pointed at his nametag, “Adam, right?”

“Yes,” the man gave her a puzzled look.

She jotted down something one her phone, before smiling again, “Nice to meet you, Adam.”

The man gulped and tipped to the front, his eyes glued to the gadget in her hand. She tucked it in her back pocket, and extended her arm to receive back her card.

“The council cares for the public’s health, that’s why,” he explained, a little too late, why she had to sign the release. “Have a nice day.”

“I will.”

The two ladies began walking away, Sara using one hand to half-heartedly help Nouri with her cart.

“You freaked that guy out.”

“I didn’t do anything.”

Sara raised both eyebrows at the other woman, “And you still managed to make his blood curdle?”

“I don’t have control over what he thinks I’m going to do.”

“So you’re not going to write about him?”

“I’ve bigger fish to fry.”

Both young women were on their way to the parking lot when they passed by a Chibi pet-shop.

“Hey! Hey! Let’s go inside,” Sarah pulled on her friend’s arm. “I want to buy one.”

Nouri Burgi, the messy brunette, had always been keen on the idea of owning one; however after she had calculated the financial cost, commitment obligations, and discipline needed to raise one, she decided that she should give it a second thought.

Strangely, she reconsidered the issue only to reach exactly the same solution. That was ten years before. Since then, the twenty-two year old had re-evaluated the situation every year only to decide to remain undecided. 

None the less, she didn’t hate the idea of window shopping or scanning to be more precise. There was no risk in scanning after all.

Yet, taking into account Nouri had bought some items that needed refrigeration; she was less than enthusiastic to follow her friend’s whim.  “Tomorrow. We can’t leave the groceries out here.”