Chapter 2

I wake up the next morning to see Josh lying next to me, fast asleep. He looks so at peace that I almost don't want to wake him. I watch him sleep for a few minutes, wondering what he could be dreaming about.

Careful not to wake Josh as he sleeps on top of my blankets, I climb out of bed. I should wake him up so he can go back next door and get ready for school, but I thought I would let him sleep a little while longer. I grab clean underwear from my draws, along with my blue and white school uniform from the floor beside my desk. I glance back at Josh, who hasn't stirred, and sneak out of my room.

I came out of my room at the same time my mother had come out from hers, which was just down the hallway from mine. She was already dressed in her business suit, where she worked as an editor for a fashion magazine.

Mum smiles, greeting me before asking if Josh was here. Whenever Josh slept over, I would get dressed in the bathroom. Mum is okay with him sleeping over, but my dad doesn't really like him spending the night in my room. So I only hope he doesn't find him because I don't want to be in trouble first thing in the morning about why my best friend is sleeping in my room without consent.

I nod. "Yes, he is. He is still sleeping."

"Would you like me to call Lynn to let her know where he is?"

I shook my head. "It's okay, Mum. There's no need for you to do that. Josh will wake up soon."

"Alright. Don't let him sleep for too long. I don't want him to be in trouble for being over here when he should be next door getting ready for school."

"No worries, Mum."

Mum gives me a warm smile and then walks past me to head downstairs to make breakfast. I turn to my right to enter the bathroom.

I undressed out of my pyjamas and into my uniform. Once dressed, I make a quick visit to the laundry to dump my clothes in the washing machine before heading back to my room to check on Josh. He is no longer sleeping in my bed when I get there, which he had made neatly for me. He was now next door, the curtains in his room closed.

Smiling, I brush my hair and tie it into a ponytail before heading downstairs for breakfast.

* * *

My friend Haylie is waiting for me at the front of the school when Mum drops me off on her way to work. I greet her, making small talk as we wait for Josh to arrive. Mum had offered to drive both Josh and I to school together, but Lynn says she doesn't mind taking him and didn't want it to be a hassle for Mum. Lynn often had trouble getting Josh to leave for school, where he would make a fuss every morning about how much he hated it. I don't blame Josh for not wanting to go. Ever since our grade found out about his psychotic break, he was bullied by some students for being crazy. Some teachers look at him in a different way too, like they fear he would become dangerous, but Josh wasn't anything like that. Yet, a majority of the school still treated him normally like any other student here.

"So have you booked your test yet?" Haylie asks me, her shoulder-length blonde hair hangs loose, blowing slightly in the cold breeze.

I nod excitedly. "I'm going for my licence on Friday after school."

Haylie returns the excitement, beaming as she high-fives me. "Awesome. Are you excited or nervous about it?"

"I'm a bit of both. I'm trying not to be too nervous or I know I will fail the test."

"You won't fail, Emily. I have faith in you. And just imagine when you do pass, you will no longer be on your learner's and you can go anywhere you want to go."

I often wonder where I'll go once I get off my learner's and no longer have to drive with a full-licence driver. I thought of taking Josh somewhere with me. I imagine us going on road trips and exploring Australia someday once we graduate at the end of the year. Haylie and I had also discussed that maybe the three of us could go on a trip together for the Christmas/New Year break, to celebrate the end of high school.