Chapter 3 - Challenge and Triumph

Previously:

"Ow!" Yelled Y/n as the shadow's hands fell to it's sides, releasing their grasps. Y/n, rubbing his sore cheeks, peered up at the strange old man, whose silly, almost scary, red goblin mask stared back. Blue, cloud-patterned clothing surrounded the man as pricks of snow-white hair flew up from his shallow scalp. Y/n's face blew to a smile as the goblin-man slowly opened his mouth.

"I knew you would come back eventually." Urokodaki stated stoically, albeit with a hint of sorrow. Y/n chuckled in response, as Tanjiro cluelessly peered on, pondering the man's identity.

"Y/n, who is this?" Tanjiro whispered to his friend anxiously, intimidated by the man's unusual fashion choices. 

"This man," Y/n announced with pride as he crossed his arms and puffed his chest. "Is the your new master and teacher; the one and only Sakonji Urokodaki!" He continued, staring at Urokodaki as if demanding that the old man take up his role as Tanjiro's mentor. Shocked at the news, Tanjiro instinctively bowed at the man in an awkwardly formal fashion. A sigh came out of Urokodaki.

 "All you ever do is give me more students, Y/n." The man murmured tiredly before turning away from the duo. Suddenly, the man patted Y/n's puffy yellow hair and he took a stride away, confident in his steps. Frantically, Tanjiro rushed over to grab Nezuko's basket as Y/n hurriedly rushed behind Urokodaki, hoping not to get lost within a labyrinth of trees.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Tanjiro PoV

It hurts. It really does.

An unbearable aching pain spread through my legs as my poor lungs desperately grasped the hasty, mud-scented air all around, screeching in exhaustion. A majestic, orange blanket of sunrise covered the sky as we both raced on through an uncountable amount of landscapes, our breaths growing shorter and shorter with each painful stride. My sense of time had been completely abolished as a dizzying, almost nauseating sweat covered my face, blinding me with a burning sensation. Nezuko's basket bumped up and down on my back as my once-strides slowly transformed into depressing limps. 

The last comfort I had left was Y/n, whose bouncy yellow hair now drooped over his eyes, wet with disgusting sweat. Unlike Urokodaki, who was speeding from afar, both Y/n and I were hastily struggling to keep up, out feet tiredly kicking up dust from behind.

"Are we.. there.. yet..?" I asked, barely being able to talk without choking. My arms and shoulders no long could withstand the stress and dangled down to my hips as my legs persistently moved forward. Y/n, who was clearly much more tired than me, shook his head in disappointment, unable to speak due to pure exhaustion. His once happy smile had now become red, tired, droopy and sweaty; like a tomato. Honestly, it was a bit funny to see a tomato running.

Timeskip to Tanjiro and Y/n arriving to the cabin.

"Ha−.. have.. we pass..ed the...test..?" I panted, my lungs drooping in pure exhaustion. My heart raced through my chest, each thunderous boom sending a cataclysmic jolt of uneasiness through my aching legs. Heavy, almost despairing, droplets of sweat covered my face as my pearls closed in fatigue. Y/n fell to his knees beside me as pounds of sweaty air bolted out of his lungs; he was clearly much more tired than me. Placing my hands on my knees, I helplessly tried to control my breath, but it was in vain. Numbness swallowed my limbs as I took one final comforting breath, a wash of relaxation spreading through my veins. I was so glad it was over.

"That wasn't part of the test.".

My eyes jolt upwards to meet Urokodaki's in shock as my heart skipped a beat in pure surprise. A lifeless, almost disappointed scent emanated from within Urokodaki as he took a deep sigh from within his red goblin mask. Not a single bead of sweat covered his body as he suddenly took a step up the freezing, almost deathly mountain. Too tired to retaliate, I cluelessly peered on as Urokodaki treaded upon a snow path upwards as a slumping Y/n followed from behind, each foot being painfully dragged before another. A cottage of sorts stood beside us, it's warmth blowing out from within. I would've done anything to sleep inside that cabin; to rest and sleep for as long as I liked.