Chapter 2 - Friendships, New and Old

Start from the beginning

"That man who attacked Nezuko." I explained as Tanjiro nodded, his eyes seemingly taking notes on everything I was saying. 

"He was a Demon Slayer. If you want to be stronger, then you'll need to be a demon slayer as well." I answered as I slowly took a few steps down the steep mountain. The clueless siblings clumsily followed behind, desperately trying not to lose me.

"How do you become a demon slayer?" Tanjiro asked. A deep sigh blew out of my mouth as I slumped my dominant hand high up into the air, not daring to say anything. Suddenly, the flaps of a bird swooped over our heads as Itachi, my Kasugai, landed on my shoulder.

"Tell the old man that I've finished my mission." I murmured as the crow nodded before loyally soaring away to Urokodaki's cabin.
"Just follow me and I'll introduce you to an old man: Sakonji Urokodaki. He'll train you to be a fine Slayer.". Tanjiro nodded, slightly confused due to the vague answer, and silently continued to follow me as we all treaded down the snowy mountain.

A while later..

No PoV 

"You don't need to pay!" An old man cried out, his stern voice echoing through the peaceful, yet lonely and dark landscape of mountains and hills. The squawk of a raven flew overhead as Tanjiro fumbled through his pockets, ignoring the man's request. A tattered bamboo basket swung in Tanjiro's clumsy hands as he pulled out numerous silver coins from within his pocket.

"Please! This is some change!" Tanjiro humbly pleaded, his voice conspicuously louder than previously. The man disappointingly shook his head.

"You don't have to!" He cried, yelling even louder. A flock of crows rushed out of their nests, shocked by the ensuing racket.

"Please! Have it!" Tanjiro screeched, forcefully slamming the minute coins into the old man's battered hands. The man yelped in pain as Tanjiro, in an unusually formal and serious manner, excused himself, rushing back into a swarm of trees.

Soon, after an exhausting sprint through a maze-like forest, Tanjiro reached the side of a minute stone mountain. The thriving green and the tall, thick trees shocked Tanjiro, since the poor mountain boy rarely ever got a chance to travel far from home. Tanjiro rushed over to Y/n, who was blankly leaning against the wall of the mountain, staring off into the night sky, as usual. His unusual yellow hair, unnaturally symmetrical scars on his cheeks and uncommon blue eyes blew a pint of curiosity into Tanjiro, but the kind boy decided not to ask about it.

"Y/n! I'm back!" Tanjiro announced, still panting from his sprint. Y/n's gaze turned over to the boy, a wide grin on his face.

"I heard you arguing with someone. Who was it?" Y/n asked, pushing himself off the mountain's steep wall. Tanjiro chuckled at the thought, but swiftly dismissed it.

"Anyways, where's Nezuko?" Tanjiro questioned, calmly peering over his shoulder for the small girl. Y/n's expression suddenly came to a standstill as his face dropped down to the ground. Despairing shadows covered the boy's eyes as his mouth opened, but nothing came out. A jolt of fright brushed through Tanjiro as Y/n's hands clenched in furious rage.

"Nezuko.. she..", 

Y/n stopped, trying to fumble together any coherent sense of composure. His face scrunched up as his teeth gritted against each other, clattering with a deafening racket.

"Tanjiro.. I'm so sorry.. she..

.

.

.

.

.

.

.