retreat, retreat, retreat

On her long walk into the cut, Mady had fully convinced herself JJ would bring his father the money. He has a shot to make his dad proud, that's probably what he's gonna do.

She grew nervous as she neared the house again. It had only been a few days, but so much had happened since then.

She prayed his father wasn't a total dirtbag, and if JJ did come to give it, that he would be kind to him. JJ didn't need anymore to worry about right now. He had to be appreciative that he got the money, right?

Something about the situation still irked her. God, I don't even know if he's here! Why am I freaking out.

The last time she saw the blonde boy was only a few hours ago when they were both in a fury. Although, her stomach twisted that she wasn't there to call him back or support him when his friends turned on him.

As Mady walked up the driveway, she took a deep breath. Maybe he's not even here and I won't even have to go in.

She immediately knew that wasn't the case when she heard grunting and groaning from the backyard.

She jogged up the side of the house where she saw the blonde on top of his father.

"You wanna steal from me?" He screamed.

Mady back tracked a little, JJ's back to her. He was different this time. Mady could faintly see blood on his fathers lip and she saw the damage done to to porch.

He's fighting back.

She wondered if maybe it was a bad idea for her to of come.

As she watched the scene unfold, a woman shouted from the porch, running out towards the two.

Oh, no.

Mady stepped up, moving quickly to stand between her and JJ. She had no business getting between that fight.

Her eyebrows furrowed for a moment and she froze as she looked down at her daughter.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned, taking a step back.

Mady didn't have time to respond before Luke spoke.

"Look, it's your sister!" He hissed.

JJ looked up, quickly meeting Mady's gaze. She mouthed, 'sorry' awkwardly cowering as she had been discovered.

"Are you just here for a little family reunion, you little shits?" He grumbled again looking between them.

"That's not my sister." JJ hissed. The blood dribbling from his lips.

His father raised an eyebrow, still on the ground. "No? What-hah, you fuckin' her?" His words were corse and rough. His face upturned into a nasty grin as he pointed to the boy, a horrendous chuckle escaping his lips. "You are! That's my boy,"

Mady's stomach twisted in disgust at his words. His father grabbed JJ's collar, yanking his face towards him. He slapped him hard, but JJ had the high ground.

In a swift motion Luke kicked out JJ's legs, and easily overtook his position, now straddling above the young boy.

"Couldn't handle me on your own, boy?" His father spat.

JJ grunted below him as his face became red with anger. "I didn't come with her," He tried to defend himself.

Retreat, you made it worse, retreat.

JJ wrestled with him, but as he took a few hits, Mady jumped to help.

Before she could make it, her mother grabbed her wrist, giving it a hard yank which sent her flying backwards.