a bitter taste

"Hey, i'm home," Mady called out as she walked in the front door of her home after her sleepover at Sarah's.

"Finally," Cole speed walked down the stairs and grabbed the keys from her. "I've been waiting forever, I need my car,"

Mady raised an eyebrow at him. "Where are you going?"

He started slipping on his shoes and plainly replied, "golfing."

"Golfing?" Mady squinted her eyes at him.
"Why golfing? You hate golfing?" She spits out in confusion.

"Topper, Rafe and I are going," He huffs opening the door.

"Whatever," Mady rolled her eyes and began heading to the stairs.

"Hey sweetheart," Jason called from the kitchen.

"Hey dad," She grinned before noticing another body beside him. "Hey Mr. Cameron," She smiled and waved.

"Hi Mady, long time no see. How are you?" Wards smiles warmly at her.

"I'm good, nice to see you!" She cuts the conversation short, skipping up to her bedroom.

As she folded her laundry, her mind wandered to the previous night. This couldn't be all she was meant to do for the rest of her life. Pointless parties with cocky rich kids, or yacht clubs filled with hollow people making useless small talk. One day she'll probably be a pretty trophy wife for her rich future husband who will spend his time working and drinking his life away. She's been bubble wrapped her whole life.

Mady did love her life, no doubt about it. Although, something just seemed off. She felt like she was born in the wrong skin. If her father knew HALF of the trouble she had gotten herself into-and out of- he would have an aneurysm.

As she slammed her dresser drawer shut in frustration, a tiny picture fluttered to the floor. When Mady picked it up her face fell. It was the last photo she kept around of her whole family together.

Her mom stood over Cole hugging him, and her dad had an arm over Mady's shoulder infront of him, with his other slunk around Tanya. They all looked so happy. Mady felt her fingers tingle in anger, but for some reason, she just couldn't part with the photo.

"-Hey," Sarah interrupted, bursting through the girls bedroom door. Mady quickly stashed the photo back onto her dresser.

"How did you...?" She began to ask before she's cut off.

"Your dad let me in. Anyway, are you going to the OBX Summer Movie tonight?" Sarah asked.

"Planning on it, yeah, wanna ride with me?" The small girl questioned.

Sarah nodded. She ended up staying for the majority of the afternoon, and the girls just lounged around Mady's large bedroom.

"Okay, I gotta run to the south side quick and pick something up for my dad, but i'll come back here so we can go together," Sarah finally declared.

"Sounds good. See ya soon," Mady saluted her.

She decided to have a nap to kill time, until she was awoken by her phone ringing.

"Hey-uh-Mady," It was Sarah, "Something came up I-uh, I can't make it to the movie tonight," She sounded distracted.

"You okay Sarah? You sound like something's wrong," Mady asked her, confused.

"No i'm good," She assured her. "Hey- if Top asks where I am, please cover for me," She pleaded.

"Course, I got you,"

"-Great, okay, gotta go, loveyoubyethankyou," Sarah cut her off before quickly hanging up. That was weird.

Nevertheless, Mady changed into a white cropped tank top and some destroyed blue jean shorts. She made her way downstairs preparing to head to the outdoor movie set.