full kook

"Mads, pass the salt," Cole urged his little sister from across the table.

She passed it over before continuing to eat her dinner.

Mady Carter was a full kook at heart, but a rouge one at that. She was born and raised in figure eight, with her older brother Cole. Cole is nineteen, along with his friends, Rafe Cameron, Topper, and Kelce.

The four were always referred to as the "kook kings" which drove Mady crazy.

It was through her brothers friendships that Mady met Sarah Cameron. Other than Sarah, there weren't many other kook girls Mady got along with. The two drifted for a couple years, but now their friendship is stronger than ever.

Mady's dad, Jason, looked between his two children, hesitating before opening his mouth. "So," He started, swallowing the food in his mouth, "I heard from your mother." He looked at the two to gauge their reactions.

Mady rolled her eyes, clearly unimpressed.

Jason cleared his throat, "She needs money," He sighed, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"So?" Mady raised an eyebrow as her shoulders slump. "Who cares?"

Mady and her mother never got on well. Mady accused her several times of liking Cole better than her. She always denied it, but no one could convince Mady otherwise. Once she had an opinion, she stuck to it.

Her mother unexpectedly got pregnant about 4 years ago, but miscarried in the final months. The whole family took it really hard, especially after they had finally adjusted to the idea of a new family member.

Although, in spite of their recovery, her mother Tanya took it harder than the rest. Mady doesn't know what to call it, but it wasn't news to anyone on the island that she never recovered. She turned to drugs to ease the pain, and she was quickly hooked.

It was rare that anyone in the Outer Banks hadn't heard the story of Tanya Carter. It was the islands hot gossip for a full month.

It didn't take long for her to turn the family upside down. She would leave for days, sometimes a week at a time, and eventually wander home, stumbling and high as a kite.

Mady's father put up with it for a few months, but when their mother began getting aggressive with the whole family, particularly Mady who stood an inch shorter than her petite mother, he finally lost it.

Jason and Tanya fought for weeks until Tanya finally left for good. Now she's living with her drug addict boyfriend in crackhead wasteland, somewhere out on the cut. Mady thinks their all better for it.

"So, i'm heading to Greensboro for a couple days for work," Mady was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard her father and brother continue talking around her.

"Again?" Mady asked him sighing.

"Sorry kiddo, you know how the job works. Have to make money to pay for you troublemakers somehow," He joked, taking a bite of his peas. "When are you heading to Toppers?" He asked, changing gears of the conversation topic.

Mady raised an eyebrow as she looked over at Cole. "Hour or so," He shrugged.

Toppers having a big party tonight, and in all honesty, Mady was kinda dreading it. Although, she was planning on meeting Sarah there.

"Okay. Ward's coming over for a beer but you'll probably be gone. I'm worried about him," He grunts, "He's been all over the place since Scooter died."

"Poor guy," Cole frowned before taking a sip of his water.

"Agatha's a bitch," Mady mumbled.

They finished eating before they cleaned up and parted ways. Mady went upstairs to her big bedroom and started rummaging through her clothes. She decided to have a quick shower. Mady put on a bikini under loose and ripped black jean shorts, and a cropped, low cut stripped t-shirt.