Avians

River trudged into the classroom. She was still early, despite being confronted by Isis like that. The groupies flocked around her instantly, murmuring to her about the quote “weird loners.” She simply smiled and nodded, putting in only the occasional word of agreement.
“What did she want anyway? I bet you beat her up didn’t you?” a groupie, Alex or Abby or something along those lines, said. River was about to answer, but the teacher walked in and ushered them all into their seats. She began to lecture them about genetics, and River could feel her face flush and vomit creep into her throat. She felt as if all the eyes in the classroom were on her, staring at her with a blazing intensity. Finally, she just couldn’t stand it anymore, the thoughts pounding in her head and the constant hum of noise around her. She burst up from her seat and left the classroom, surprised her teacher allowed her to.
The courtyard was empty, so she readjusted the wrappings that held her wings to her back. River wondered who they would send this time. The school officials had long since given up on getting her back to the classrooms themselves, so they used members of the flock. Frequently it was Vexen or Trish, but today they sent King.
He floated up to her, for he didn’t often walk, and grinned. “What’s up tweety bird?”
“You heard about that, huh? Guess I probably shouldn’t have called her a pup, but hey, she kind of had it coming to her. But I know that’s not the reason you’re here. They, well their leader Isis, told me something. I quote, ‘I know what she’s up to, I know what she has done, and I know her fear is nothing compared to my anger.’ And then something about Aisha being able to mess with dreams. How do they know anything about her?” River questioned. She was almost glad they sent him today since he always had the inside scoop.
“The twin, Efil, she seems to have some psychic powers. Limited, but still present. What I’m confused about is the fact that we all know Aisha has no power over dreams, let alone minds. You of all people know that.”
“I know King. I know,” River mumbled. But for once she really didn’t know. For one, Aisha was never afraid, not since that day. And two, there was no way a message of that caliber would ever be passed along. Why bother? “Those pups don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s best we forget about it. Now come on, we should get back to class.”
King mumbled a do we have to and River shoved him playfully. She returned him to his class and lumbered through the hall, trying to head her own advice and forget about it. She kicked the door to her class open, making a grand entrance. All her groupies grinned and greeted her warmly before being shushed by the teacher.
It wasn’t a short time after she settled into her seat that the bell rang. River gathered up her textbook and ballpoint pen and headed to her locker. She was spinning her lock’s combination as she was confronted yet again by Isis.
“You really need to get some better timing pup. Still kind of busy here you know?” River said, keeping an even gaze on the inside of her locker.
“Today. Wood’s behind the supermarket down the road. Be there at five,” Isis threatened. River said nothing; she just walked to her next class, alone at last.