Chapter 21:

Oh?

That's not what I was expecting.

My eyes widen and jaw drops as I try to gather my thoughts.

Girlfriend?

I was ready for him to tell me that it was some kind of cruel joke, not to ask me to be his girlfriend! 

I was preparing my words for that, not this.

Now I'm left all speechless in front of him as he patiently and painfully waits for my answer.

"I- I'm sorry, I shouldn't ha-" he began to say before I could finally speak to cut him off, "no! It's fine. I just wasn't expecting this... that's all" I tell him, looking into his wide doe eyes.

I could see his body relax a little as he lets out a breath.

"Yes. I will be your girlfriend" I tell him with a smile on my face as butterflies flutter around in my stomach.

"But theres one thing" I tell him.

He looks me in the eyes and tilts his head to the side, "what?" he asks concerned.

"I don't really know how to be a... a girlfriend" I tell him honestly.

I've never been one before.

My brothers never had one before.

And they didn't have the best relationship.

Johnny smiles cutely, "I don't really know how to be a boyfriend either... but we'll take it slow and learn as we go along" he says sweetly.

I blush heavily at his kind words, and before I could control myself I was leaning into him, our lips connecting again.

It was just a small peck before we pulled away, both blushing and smiling messes.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a mess.

We didn't realize how tired we were till we settled down from our adrenaline rush.

"I don't have the energy to walk back to the Curtis's" I tell Johnny, "neither do I. It's okay, we can sleep here" he replies.

"You sure?" I ask him, "yeah, Pony and I do sometimes, it's fine, no one comes here" he says as he starts to get comfortable.

"Okay" I say, trusting Johnny.

Thankfully it was a warm night and there was hardly any wind, so the cold wouldn't be a problem.

I started to get comfortable, turning on my side to face Johnny's face.

We were close enough that his warm breath was tickling my nose.

"Goodnight, Kins" he says with a smile before closing his eyes, "goodnight, Johnny" I reply with the same smile as I close my eyes.

***

I woke up to someone saying, "imagine what Darry would say".

I jolt up, and could feel Johnny jolting up beside me too, our jaws dropping once we saw Pony standing in front of us, a smug smile on his face.

"Pony, please don't tell him" I say, "please Pony" Johnny joins in, "Guys, relax, I was just kidding" he says, his smug smile fading, turning into a real one.

Johnny and I both let out a sigh of relief.

"But seriously, you better get to the house, Darry's worried" Pony says starting to walk away.

Johnny and I follow along, Pony a few feet ahead of us.

"So, I was wondering... now that... we're... together, if you would like to go on a date with me? Since I know that's one things couples do" Johnny says.