Chapter Twelve

It has been a week since Selena has seen anyone in the group. Zac texts her and when she texts back he mentions how she is acting differently. Selena denies it all but really who wouldn’t be different when someone like Rose speaks to Selena like that. Today though, was Saturday which meant that she was seeing everyone. Her nerves were kicked into high gear as she woke up and made herself breakfast. When she went upstairs to her room to get ready she jumped when she saw Zac enter in through the back door. “Zac? What are you doing?”

He looked up upon hearing her call his name. He smiled and ran slowly towards her, his arms wrapping around her waist.  “I came to see you before everyone else.”  He whispered his lips grazing hers. The soft movement made her knees go weak but she made this decision and she was sticking by it.

She pulled away slowly before looking into his confused eyes. “Zac what ever we are, whatever is happening between us….. it has to stop.” That rendered Zac speechless as Selena took in a big breath and ran up the stairs to her room. Once she sat on the edge of her bed she felt his presence.

Zac closed the door softly and walked up to her and knelt down. “Is this about Rose?” When Selena squirmed under that name he sighed and brought his hand to cup her cheek. “What ever she said. It is not true Lena. I never liked her, nor will I ever. She thinks she can have me but she can’t and no matter how many times I tell her she still goes crazy. So I just stopped acknowledging her. I think  it was freshman year I talked with her and she had a chance but then I realized that she wasn’t so amazingly  awesome to be with. That is what you are. Every minute I am with you I can’t seem to get enough, you’re amazingly awesome. Please don’t end us.”

Selena looked up into his pleading orbs but gulped and shook her head.

“Zac we can’t. You hate royals, I knew that the minute you set eyes on me. I can’t bring you into a life you hate. Especially with what my dad parents did you your grandparents. I just can’t do that to you, and I won’t. I am not dragging you into this royal mess no matter how much I like you. I can’t and you cannot change my mind.”

“But-”

“No buts.. please.” She pleaded with him. Zac searched her eyes, curious as to what she was doing. Didn’t she understand he didn’t care about the past anymore? He just cared about her.

“Selena, darling?” Her father called out knocking on her door. “May I speak with you darling?”

Selena bit her lip ushering Zac to the balcony he first entered her room on. She kissed his cheek before turning around and walking away. “I’ll see you around Zac.” Before she opened the door she looked back to find Zac staring at her with confusion and longing. She gulped and twisted the handle watching as he sighed and walked away.

When she opened the door her dad smiled down at her. Selena smiled back and let her dad in as he sat on the chair in the corner of her room while she took the edge of her bed again. “You wanted to speak with me dad?”

“Yes, firstly there is a masquerade ball coming up and I wanted you to go for your fitting with Marvin. Secondly, everything is happening so fast and I wanted you to understand you will be Destiny’s maid of honor.”

“What? Dad no-”

“What is your problem with this darling? She is your sister, just like Anthony was your brother.”

“By no means does Destiny compare to Tony. You know it much more than I do. So why even mention it?”

“Darling they are our new family-”

“I don’t want them to be.”

“SELENA RAE CARTIER! That is not the tone I want to be hearing about our family.”