Chapter Sixteen - Coincidence? I Think Not!

"... it's packed full of all this- this stuff! Clothes, jewellery, chocolate- everything seemed relatively normal until I reached the bottom! There was this- this black lace bra and matching undies- and this thigh high garter! I saw the tag and everything, Victoria's Secret! This guy is giving me weird vibes, Gaara, like I honestly- ughhh!" 

After getting home and opening my package last night, I uncovered some very unsuitable material and had a fit before shoving it into my cupboard to evade my mother's eagle eyes. Now, walking with Gaara to school, I can't contain my concerns anymore, and let everything out with a loud groan. He sighs, shaking his head.

"The guy's a creep; get over him," he mumbles monotonously, thumping me on the head. I pout, rubbing where he'd hit. I'd thought that Romeo was the sweet, romantic type, but the arrival of his latest gifts just confused me. I'm so busy whining and moaning to Gaara that I accidentally bump into someone, and look up with a squeaky apology as I stop in my tracks.

"A-Ah, [Name]! C-coincidence seeing you here, huh?" I stand up straight with Gaara, and we both stare at the new figure that looms over both of us.

"Um, not really," I say in a pointed voice. "You live farther away from here, and school's the other way."

Sasuke chuckles, and nervously scratches the back of his head, pink in the face as Gaara and I both size him up with menacing looks.

"Oh, well then, can I walk with you anyway?"

"No." I push past Sasuke, and Gaara follows my lead after rolling his eyes at the now lonesome Uchiha. I continue my tirade of complaints.

"Now, where was I? Oh, yeah- fucking lingerie. The rest of the things were sweet and, like, lovey-dovey, but it just like- woah. It caught me off guard, man! What if Romeo's just some creep?! The last thing I need is more creeps in my life, l-"

I groan and turn around as I hear light footsteps running towards Gaara and I.

"S-so, uh, [N-Name]-"

"Sasuke, why are you still following us?!" I snap angrily, lashing out at the Uchiha. He grimaces and shoves his hands into his pants pockets.

"We go to the same school, dumbass," he sneers. Right. There's the Sasuke Uchiha I know. I roll my eyes and turn back to the front, uttering a few curses under my breath before resuming my chat with Gaara. I'm absolutely determined to act as if Sasuke isn't there, whether he likes it or not.

"Just give up on that guy, already," sighs Gaara. "It's obvious he's just trying to rope you into sleeping with him." I sigh in return, and hang my head as I stare at my feet dragging along the ground.

"I guess so," I mumble. "But it felt kinda nice, getting all those gifts. It made me feel special." Gaara snorts.

"Don't the Akatsuki make you feel special enough?" I burst into laughter at the mention of my newfound gang- even I still find it hard to fathom that they pose at least some kind of threat to society.

"What, that wannabe thug club? Gaara, they're just... an odd collection of wannabe wrongdoers under the control of a leader who could be less interested in them. There's nothing much about the Akatsuki."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Have you decided what dress to wear to the ball, yet?" 

We've reached the front gates of school, and I sneak a glance over my shoulder. Surprisingly, Sasuke's nowhere to be seen. My eyes dart around as I look for any sign of his presence, but can't detect either a dumb head of duckbutt hair or rays of coldness from anywhere, especially not from the others pouring into the school property. Gaara snaps his fingers in front of my face, and I look up at him in a daze.

"What?"

"I said, have you decided on what dress you're wearing to the ball?" I giggle as I get back into the zone.

"Duh. Red, to match your hair."