"Shut up!" He yelled back and you heard the remittance of his actual voice down the hall. "I got this!"

But then you realized- 

"Iida. Careful, I've lost sight of Uraraka."

As you said this, Shoto raised an entire wall of ice behind you so that neither you nor he could retreat anymore. 

"You don't give up do you?" You growled, starting to run out of breath. 

"You have to show the teachers and our classmates your strength." Shoto said quietly, his face serious, his words too. 

And with just as much fervor you replied sternly, "No."

Another attack of ice. 

Another dodge. 

"Y/n. We're here to be heroes." Shoto said, watching you roll and jump up on an ice spike to shatter it. "You can't be afraid to use your quirk. Otherwise they will always view you as an extension of me."

Suddenly, flashes of memories returned to you. 

The first time you could feel the specific percentages of components in the air, the temperatures fluctuating, the individual atoms in your body changing to the different conditions. 

The noise. The noise of the quietest things like light through a window or dust on a shelf. 

You groaned, hitting yourself in the head, hearing Endeavor's words about never holding back. Never letting anyone defeat you again.  

Your quirk started to win you over. 

You began feeling every little nuance of your surroundings. 

The cooling temperature.
the increased amount of hydrogen flowing from the ice.
Shoto's exact presence in the room.
Everything. everything. everything. 

"Y/n." 

And as your life long opponent said your name and another spurt of ice came your way, you felt some sort of willpower inside you crumble. 

"Stop!"

Throwing your arm out in front of you, your quirk came alive and with full force directed all of Shoto's ice directly back at him. 

The wall behind you cracked and fell to pieces, a whooshing of wind and release of pressure causing the entire building to shake. 

Shoto was able to guard himself from the blast, but the moment you'd realized what you'd done, your own body started to shake. 

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Fine, then." Shoto said. 

That one outburst was not what he had intended. He wanted you to use your quirk the way you sometimes did in training. When you had control over your emotions.

Not like this.

You were so distraught for a moment, staring into the ground, trying to catch your breath that he was finally able to run past you.  

"Damn it!" You yelled, hearing his footsteps, turning to run after him. 

He was using his ice to speed up, but you tailed him. 

Fast enough actually, that you might've actually been able to get in front and block him again. 

But then Midoriya and Bakugo came into sight. 

And Todoroki wasn't paying attention to where his ice was going. He was too focused on what your next move would be. 

And Bakugo was too focused on trying to beat Deku that he didn't notice the ice heading straight for him.