Chapter 4

Harry's mood seemed to improve, but according to Sean, it was only around Melody. When it was just him with Harry, he was just as miserable as he'd been the past few weeks. And Melody didn't know what to think of that.

"Harry, I don't think you're getting how to play this game."

"What d'yeh mean? 'M playin' just how yeh explained it."

Sean coughed to hide his laughter, but Melody didn't even try to mask the wide smile breaking out over her face. She shook her head and laid her hand of cards facedown on the table they'd swiveled over Harry's bed.

"You just claimed you had three queens when you only had one," she said to him, "which meant that either Sean or I already had at least two. You can't have three queens."

"Sound like the 'inconceivable' guy from that movie yeh made me watch," Harry grumbled, tossing his own hand onto the table. "Nothin' yeh're sayin' makes any sense. Whatever. Whole game seems like bullshit, anyway."

Melody shot Sean an amused look as she sat back in her chair. "Was there something else you wanted to do, then?"

"Yeah, wanna get the fuck outta here."

Melody crossed her arms over her chest and drew in a deep breath. Sean shuffled all the playing cards into a pile so he could return them to their box. "It's pouring out, Harry," he informed him.

"Can see just fine, thanks."

"See?" Sean directed to Melody. "Miserable. You're not nice, Harry."

"Well, he does have two working eyes," Melody agreed, gesturing to the windows, where rain was beating heavily against the panes and the sky had grown dark and gloomy. "And that's not what he meant, anyway."

"Thank you," Harry said. He covered half of his face as he yawned, and then added, "At least one of us has a whole brain."

Sean laughed like he'd just witnessed comedic gold. Harry grinned at him. "Was good, right?"

The smile was so bright, something that she hadn't seen in so long, that Melody felt that all too familiar ache again. Even though she didn't find his joke funny. She didn't find any of his self-deprecating jokes funny at all. But she would endure them if this was the way that he delivered them, all bright-eyed.

Sean must have made a joke too, because Harry was laughing. A full, loud laugh. Melody couldn't contain her own smile at the sound of it, at the way his eyes crinkled up at the corners. And then it stopped. Abruptly.

Harry's spine curled forward. His head dropped into his palms and his fingers curled into his scalp. His breath stopped short in his throat. And then he let out a gasp, a heavy groan laced with pain. Melody had never heard him make a sound like that. Her smile fell faster than a drop of rain.

"Harry?" she whispered, leaning forward and slipping her fingers over the back of his neck, beneath his hair. "What's wrong?"

He winced again, loudly, and hunched further forward.

"Sean, go get the doctor," Melody muttered urgently.

Sean nodded quickly and was out of his chair, rushing into the hallway before Melody could even move again.

"Hey." She shifted onto the edge of the mattress and ran her hand down Harry's spine. Her other fingers rubbed at his wrist, where he was holding his head. "What's going on?"

Harry did nothing but grit his teeth together and tip forward until his forehead met her chest. His breath returned, heavier, and his legs pulled in toward his body.