40

~racing to 60, i've been a fool (and give my heart a holiday)~

once upon a time, hongjoong had the feeling of being on top of the world, it was amazing how fast that feeling came crashing down. he lost everything in a matter of 6 hours and he couldn't process what was happening fast enough to brace himself. it had already been a little over a week since his mother had died. in that week he hadn't seen any one of his siblings, hell he actually hadn't left yunho's apartment.

yunho had managed to convince him to eat and shower but it hadn't made him feel much better. if anything, he felt almost like he was watching himself from outside of his body. maybe the reality hadn't kicked in yet.

he cupped his hands under the faucet, splashing water on his face. his face red and swollen from all the crying. hongjoong felt a hand lay on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"are you ready?" yunho asked. a soft, caring, smile on his face. he knew today would be hard for hongjoong, but if the older didn't go, he'd regret it forever. 

" no..but it's now or never." Hongjoong shrugged yunho's arm off of him as he left out the bathroom. no amount of time on earth could prepare a person for burying someone they were close to.

_-_-_-_

hongjoong released a deep shaky breath, he tips of his fingers tapping together as he watched all the people gather. there were so many people. people's whose names he never knew, face's he could never remember.

he should've felt a sense of happiness at the fact that all these people came for HIS mother. but he couldn't, it only angered him. these people knew nothing about her, they wouldn't even be able to tell you her name if they were asked. yet here they we're crying and sobbing.

of course his father turned a funeral into a business party.

wrapping his arms around himself, he walked further into the service. people would give him their deepest condolences. would look at him with pity. some would recognize him and see the ring missing from his finger, and before he could avoid questions, they'd ask where his husband was.

it had taken everything in him not to break down and cry. the only thing helping him keep it together at the moment..was yunho.

-_-_-_-

seonghwa nervously shifted in his seat, his eyes shifting from outside the car back to his hands. maybe this was a bad idea. if he  turned back now he could forget this ever happened, but then jimin, who sat right beside him, would beat the shit out of him.

speaking of jimin, he could sense his younger brother's distress and put a hand on his knee comfortingly. admittedly, this idea could potentially backfire but it was worth a try wasnt it?