Chapter 49

Elaine's POV:

I'm not sure how long I cried for, but I knew it was through at least five cups of tea. My family never left my side; each taking shifts to watch Fred.
As soon as Mrs. Weasley heard what happened she came over, a basket of fresh muffins in hand, and talked me through the situation.
"Elaine, dear, Draco does love you. And he made a mistake. Whether or not you decide to forgive him for that mistake is up to you...and we will back you up completely with whatever you chose," she said, placing a hand on mine after handing me more tissues.  "What would you do...if Mr Weasley did that to you?" I asked.  Mrs. Weasley took a moment to think about it and then answered. "When Arthur and I got married, we vowed to be with each other for better or worse," she said simply.  I nodded, knowing now what I needed to do. "Talk to him," she said as if she read my mind.

After my talk with Mrs. Weasley, I felt so much better and I wrote to Draco, asking him if he would meet me at my parents house to talk.  He agreed, writing back to me about the time he'd come over.

The next day, I felt nervous. I wasn't sure what I was going to say to him, but I knew once I saw him, my mind would finally make the decision.

I decided not to tell anyone that Draco was coming over. My parents were already on edge with everything going on, and the house seemed much more crowded with Fred and I there.

"Leave!" I heard Hermione shout from downstairs. Jason and I were hanging out in his room, and I completely lost track of time. "Please let me see my wife," I heard him beg as I made my way to the front door where Hermione stood.

"It's okay," I told my sister, who glared at me before stepping aside revealing my husband.  "Let's go for a walk," I said before my parents could come see who Hermione was yelling at.

I quickly pulled the front door shut behind me, and Draco and I began walking down the street.  "How's Fred?" he asked, keeping his eyes on the pavement below our feet. "He's fine," I reply, suddenly feeling very awkward trying to make small talk with my own husband. "Please come back home," he said suddenly. "I don't know, Draco," I said.

I really thought once I saw him, I'd know the answer as to what I was going to do, but my mind was blank.

"Who was she?" I asked. That question had been bothering me from day one.  He looked at me for the first time now, and I saw how red and pasty the skin near his eyes looked.  "Astoria. My dad tried setting me up with her fourth year. Her family is pure blood...and, well, you know my dad. She didn't go to Hogwarts, but when the triwizard tournament arrived, so did she," he explained.  I didn't respond, but I did feel better that I, at least, didn't know the girl. "Elaine I'm so sorry," Draco muttered. "Why did you do it?" I asked. "I was so angry...I wish you would've told me that you've been seeing my father," he explained. "But it doesn't make what I did any better," he added.

Draco and I continued walking for a few more minutes in silence. I was trying to decide what to do. Could I forgive him after what he did? Would we be able to move on?