37. Japan Part 2

I think it was safe to say that both myself and Seb were a bit bleary eyed during breakfast with the team in the hotel. Typhoon Phanfone had kept us awake on and off all night with heavy rain and high winds and as I looked around at the others it was clear that we hadn't been the only ones. Feeling nauseous, I toyed with my solitary piece of toast while planning the quickest route through the tables out of the restaurant in case I had to dash to the toilet. I glanced towards the windows, although the winds had eased it was still pouring with rain and it made me wonder what condition the track would be in when we got to the circuit. Judging by the quiet murmurs around me I wasn't the only one and I could hear Seb discussing how much standing water there could be on the track with Rocky. Overall the atmosphere in the restaurant was a bit subdued, there wasn't the usual joking around, banter and laughter like there usually was. The weather seemed to have got everyone feeling a little on edge, including Seb and I'd never known him to be edgy before a race until now.
"You not eating that?" Jonesy asked, pointing to my piece of toast.

"Nah." I shook my head.

"Waste not, want not." He promptly swiped the toast from my plate like a scavenging seagull and instantly began to devour it.

"You should be the size of house, the amount you eat." I remarked as I watched him eat.

"I have a high metabolism." He replied smugly with his mouth full, my nausea immediately worsened. "You alright, you've gone as white as a sheet?" He asked, spraying a few stray crumbs out of his mouth.

My mouth started to fill with saliva making me swallow repeatedly and as a waitress placed a plate in front of him filled with a full English breakfast the smell of it tipped me over the edge. I rose from the table and swiftly legged it from the room using my newly pre-planned route through the restaurant, nearly colliding with a waiter carrying a tray loaded with more breakfasts on my way out. I only just made it into the toilet on time, I didn't even have a second to close the cubicle door as I dropped to my knees and threw up into the toilet.

"Harper?" It wasn't long before I was joined by Seb, he immediately gathered up my hair and held it back for me. "Why don't you head back up to our suite?" He stroked my back comfortingly.

I wondered if he was only suggesting that because I was probably putting him off of his breakfast and he was afraid I might chunder at the table. "No, I'll be ok." I managed to speak in between wretches, then I heard the door open again.

"You alright chick?" Emma's chirpy, far too awake and cheery voice filled the small space.

"Never better." I muttered glumly.

"Seb, you go and finish your breakfast and I'll stay with Harps. The guys are wondering where you've got to and Jonesy thinks you've both disappeared for a quick one in the lavs."

"I'm not sure I want to leave her." He replied, his tone hesitant.

"She'll be fine with me. Go on, I can take over from here." She insisted.

"You know where I am if you want me." He gave my back a gentle pat.

I put my hand up to acknowledge him as I felt my hair being passed from his hands to Emma's. I felt like a horse having his reins passed over. Thankfully my bout of sickness started to ease and I sat upright and reached up to flush the loo, I was breathing heavily, trying to catch my breath as vomiting had knocked the wind out of me.

"Is it always this bad?" Emma asked with concern.

"Not every day, some days are worse than others." I turned to lean back against the cubicle wall only to realise that she still had hold of my hair. "You can let go now, I think I'm over the worst of it."