chapter six - dare

Start from the beginning

"I'm good with dares, okay!" Richie said, holding his hands up in defense.

The conversation was cut off by a grunt from Eddie. "Its fine, Bill.  I suppose I'll answer it, I mean it is the rules of truth or dare." You all looked at him in anticipation.  You knew the amount of pills he took had to be a lot, I mean he seemed to pop one at least once an hour.  You recalled that once you and the other losers had placed bets on how many pills Eddie had taken his whole life, Richie in particular saying one of the highest numbers out of the group.  Eddie inhaled as he prepared his response, his eyes shutting lightly.  "Twenty-one, on average," he said.  You all looked around at each other in disbelief as your brows scrunched together.  "W-what is it?" The small boy asked. 

"Eddie, theres no way in HELL you only take twenty-one pills a week!" Richie said, smiling.  Before Eddie even had a chance to react, Richie reached towards the boy, unclipping the fanny pack from around his middle.  

"Hey!" The boy yelled angrily, but his shouts of protest did nothing to hinder Richie from extracting his pill container from the small black back and opening it up.  Richie swatted Eddie away from him as he silently counted under his breath.  Eventually Eddie gave up his struggling, and simply slouched down in defeat while throwing your brother a venomous glare.  Richie continued to mutter under his breath, and you watched as his face grew increasingly distorted at the sheer amount of medication Eddie hauled around with him wherever he went.  

"46..47..48...." Richie brought his eyes up to meet Eddie's own.  "Ladies and gentlemen, we've got our ACTUAL answer, 49 pills a week!" He said, once again taking on his announcer-like persona.  Eddie looked around, glaring at each of our shocked faces.  

"They're for my health, okay you dipshit!" He yelled at Richie, even though you could tell that there was just a hint of playfulness in his tone.  He snatched his fanny pack back from Richie fastening it back around his waist as you all settled back down.  

"Alright Eds, spin the bottle!" Richie said.  Eddie gave the bottle a vigorous spin, and it landed on Bill.  

"Bill, truth or dare!" Eddie said, grinning at the taller boy.  

"Dare," he said, narrowing his eyes with a  smile.  

"Hm.." Eddie said as he rested his chin in the palm of his hand.  "I dare you to go and ring Bowers' doorbell," he said, his face sly.  

Bill looked at Eddie, an expression of shock overtaking his face for a second.  However, he soon regained his composure, and matched the asthmatic's smirk with one of his own.  "A-alright then, let's go," He said, his voice surprisingly confident.  You all giggled lightly as you made your way up the basement staircase, quietly padding through the halls to avoid getting caught by Bill's parents.  Instead of going out Bills door, which was known to be extremely creaky to you all from years of experimentation and sneaking out, you opted to make your escape through a kitchen window that was left slightly cracked open.  Richie was the last to make it out through, muttering various swears as he climbed over the window sill, which was apparently more difficult than he had anticipated.  After he had made it out, you all ran across Bill's lawn, an exhilarating feeling flowing through your chest as you sprinted along the street with the others.  You weren't concerned about any curfew, you didn't care about school, your brain was not fixated on bullies, or your father, or even the missing kids.  It was summer, you were free, and you were happy, and in that moment, you felt infinite.  You hiked up your nightgown, clenching the woven fabric in between your fingers as you gazed at the boys around you.  You all took a left onto Maplewood, Bowers' street, slowing down a bit as you approached his house.  Your heart slowed down with your feet, the feeling of freedom decreasing right along with it, but you couldn't care less.  You, Stan, Richie, and Eddie hid behind the oak tree in Henry's yard as you watched Bill move up to his porch, anxiety bubbling up in your chest.