Chapter 8

The day of the wedding was beautiful. The weather was perfect for the beginning of June and there was a cool breeze. Becky and Bryce's new home was the ideal spot for the wedding. New wood soaked up the sunshine and its scent carried on the wind. There was a new but small house, and a barn. Men had been working hard these past months to get it ready in time for the newlyweds. A field for planting was made, as well as a garden by the house.

Temporary benches were made for the guests to sit on, strung with flowers. An aisle was made between rows of benches facing each other. Allison noticed many people carrying homemade dishes over to the long tables by the house. A beautiful cake was in the middle of one of the tables, with fancy decorating. Gifts for the couple were laid out on a blanket next to the table. Many people were chatting to one another or had already taken their seat. The ceremony would be starting soon.

Allison carried her own dish to a table, Becky's favorite apple crisp, while Clayton talked to some friends. Allison looked around for her friends and saw Oakley and Justice sitting on a bench. She went to sit next to them.

"Hello, girls."

"Hi, Allison," Oakley said and smiled up at her.

"Won't you have a seat?" Justice asked.

"Thank you, I will."

"This has been the first wedding in a long time. I'm so excited, especially since its Becky that's getting married," Oakley said.

"Me too! I'll bet there'll be plenty more weddings once we find some men," Allison said cheerfully.

"You bet! Oh, look! There's Bryce. He certainly looks handsome, Becky is so lucky!" Justice exclaimed.

"Everyone is taking their seats and Rev. Dave is up there too, so Becky must be coming."

Allison looked and saw Becky was walking down the aisle on her father's arm. Her dress was light and flowy, a lacy confection. A pale blue ribbon was tied across her waist in a pretty bow. Her veil covered her face and she held a bouquet of blue irises and hydrangeas that matched the ribbon. She was simply breathtaking.

She reached the end of the aisle and the vows were said. Everyone cheered as they kissed. Becky laughed happily as ladies moved close to try to catch the bouquet. Allison went with them behind Becky as she turned around. Then she tossed the flowers and they went flying into the air. Allison reached up her hands like all the other young girls, and she actually caught the bouquet! She gasped and couldn't believe it.

Some girls congratulated her while others went off sulking. Allison brought it up to her nose and sniffed the lovely flowers. She thought, how perfectly delightful. While holding the flowers in her arms, she went to congratulate the happy couple.

"Congratulations! I know you two will be very happy with each other," Allison told Becky and Bryce.

"Thank you, Allison," Bryce said.

"Yes, thanks so much! I couldn't have a better, more supportive friend," Becky gushed.

"Aww, thank you. I know that there'll be tons of food, just remember to save room for my apple crisp, okay?"

"Not a problem. It is my favorite. I bet Bryce wishes I could cook as well as you."

"No, dear, you are perfect," Bryce remarked.

"Thank you, honey."

"Well, I'll let you visit with some more people, see you later."

Bryce and Becky said their goodbyes as Allison went to snack on some food. After a little while she watched the couple open gifts. They got many items perfect for starting a household including some pots, pans, towels, quilts, fabric and some things for future babies. Allison had made a quilt for them and Clayton gave Bryce some tools for his barn. They were very blessed, and Allison loved having them as friends.