~19~ England Pt.3: Home

Start from the beginning

We stop in front of a dark brown carriage decorated in gold markings, every detail holding an intricate elegance - the windows lined with drawn back, sheer curtains on the inside.

A soldier opens the door and George guides me forward, gesturing for me to step in - but I pause, glancing back at the large ship one last time.

I needed to swallow the fear I had.

But even when I knew there was no point in running, I couldn't get myself to move, to get farther away from the one place that would take me away from this sweetened nightmare.
I lost my chance - and my crushed composure wasn't sure on when...or if I would get another.

I hear the royal whisper my name, and I pull my gaze back to the inside of the carriage - and without having much choice, I hesitantly lift the front of my dress - my hand shaking only just.
I step in, sitting on the velvet seats and my chest falls, drawing in an uneasy breath and trying to drown out the world around me.

Moments later the door clicks shut and I look up at the two other occupants.
The king sat across from me while Warner sat by my side - the both of them discreetly blocking the doors on either side.

"Nervous, love?" George asks, having caught my hands tugging at the dress skirt and I stay relatively still - aside from a slight nod to answer him, and he leans closer, clasping his hands over mine.
"About what dear?"

"Everything." I say quietly, as if my simple answer was obvious. "I've never been anywhere outside of town- let alone the country before. This is all so new...it terrifies me." I glance at George, his eyes holding sympathy.

"You're not alone." He comforts and I swallow - my nerves twisting knots as mixing sounds signal the carriage and its slowly moving frame.

"Who was that other general?"
I let my gaze shift to my hands.

"Ainsworth." He answers. "I kept him here to help watch over our kingdom while I was gone."

I repeat the name a few times over in my head...hoping this new general wasn't going to be as much of an obstacle as Warner.

°
°
°

~~~ Time skip ~~~~

°
°
°

The time was swift, silent aside from the conversations George and Warner would have - sometimes trying to get me to take part in them.
For almost four hours, the carriage continued at its fairly well-kept pace, making its way through streets and towns - the houses and crowds of people we passed by slowly growing more sophisticated and there was only one answer as to why.

Most cheered and seemed happy, relaxed and relieved of their king's safe return home. Others - although seeming to be more cheerful, held a sense of calm between the few who didn't seem too bothered.

I had mainly kept to myself - my gaze on my lap while each thought sat glazed over - but at the moment, my frame was leaned forward just enough to show my scattered curiosity.

The wall separating the castle's grounds from the houses and streets of town was towering - moonlight making each gray hued brick appear glossy - the intricate metal bars of the front gate parting into two and sliding open at the command of posted men allowing us entry.
The carriage continues forward to the end of our journey, following the long pathway up to the grand building and stopping by the front steps - the door being opened shortly after by a soldier.

George steps out with grace, offering his hand and I hesitantly stand, taking it gently as I step out by the male's side.
My eyes held a look of awe, gazing upon the tall towers and lingering structures of the castle - even the many, many white trimmed windows were tall, surrounded by intricate details lining the light stone.
I couldn't even take in the night lit elegance if I wanted to.