Chapter Two - Heather, Heather, and Heather

TW: Eating disorders 

Y/N's POV

The first half of the day went by pretty smoothly, without any issues, and I was happy to discover that both Veronica and Martha shared some classes with me. 

On top of this, I also found out that Heather had the same exact schedule as me so far. This, of course, presented a good opportunity for me to get to know her better, but also for her to not want to get to know me better, seeing as on the bus, she didn't speak to me at all, instead texting the entire bus ride.

Finally, it was time for lunch. Since I had my 4th period class, Biology, with Veronica, it only made sense that we'd walk to the cafeteria together. Seeing as I was new, she led the way. 

Once we reached the cafeteria, we found the end of the lunch line and got our food together. Then, a boy wearing a varsity jacket approached us as we were trying to find a place to sit and upended Veronica's tray. Veronica just stands there, unsurprised for a moment.

Suddenly, Veronica screams "DICK!" at the boy, and he retorts with,

"What did you say to me, skank?" Nice one. Reallllllly nice, mystery boy.

"Aah... Nothing!" Veronica replies, clearly a bit more shaken up now. She turns to me as he walks away and explains, "That was Ram Sweeney. This is his third year as linebacker and eighth year of smacking lunchtrays and clearly, being a huge dick,"

Veronica and I start walking to find a table when suddenly Veronica jumps at something (or someone) and drops her tray. We turn around to find Martha.

"Agh! Oh, hi Martha," Veronica says, scrambling to pick up her tray. Martha runs to a nearby table and attempts to reach under it to grab an orange from Veronica's tray, which has rolled under the table.

"Hi Veronica! Hi Y/N! Veronica, are we still on for movie night?" Martha greets us. 

"Movie night?" I question, turning to Veronica for help.

"Oh, right. Martha and I have been friends since we were in diapers. We do movie nights every so often. Martha, to answer your question, yeah! You're getting the popcorn," Veronica explains, then turns her focus back to me. "Speaking of, do you want to join us? If Martha doesn't mind, that is," she continues, looking at Martha for confirmation.

With clear excitement, Martha replies, "Yeah, of course Y/N can come! I rented the Princess Bride!"

Veronica rolls her eyes. "Again? Wait, don't you have it memorized by now?" 

"What can I say? You know I'm a sucker for a happy ending!" Martha expresses, when suddenly another boy wearing a varsity jacket approaches.

He knocks Martha's tray out of her hands and shouts for the whole cafeteria to hear. "HAAAHH, look who it is, it's Martha Dumptruck!" 

"Hey! Pick that up. Right. Now," Veronica says, furious.

"I'm sorry, are you actually TALKING to me?" the boy says and then walks away, high-fiving Ram, who was standing a few feet away.

"And that was Kurt Kelly. He's the quarterback, and the smartest guy on the football team. Which, if you think about it, is kind of like being the tallest dwarf," Veronica explains as she bends over to pick up Martha's tray.

All of a sudden, the cafeteria doors open and three girls enter. Everyone in the cafeteria turns to look at them and I realize that it's Heather and the same two girls from the front lawn.

"Those are the Heathers. They float above it all. They're never bothered, never harrassed," Veronica says, still looking at them. "I'd give anything to be like them,"