nine

"batti boy with the license! my bestest friend! do you feel like coming to swoop me and the little marshmallow?" mattia screaming into his phone.

mattia laid on a pillow on his bed with kairi laying horizontally, using mattia's shirtless stomach as his pillow of his own.

kairi couldn't help but roll his eyes at the dumb comment. he wasn't in the greatest mood, but he tried to patiently wait for mattia to end the phone call. it also hurt when he realized mattia was starting an entirely different conversation with roshaun. he got off mattia and rolled on to his stomach, leaning on his elbows but still looking at his friend. he was pretty sure it was something about tiktokroom, but he wasn't really paying that much attention.

he did, however, notice the way mattia's lips moved when he formed the words he eloquently spoke. they were a pretty color and were very shapely. he especially liked when they kissed his own lips. but willing himself away from that thought, he decided he liked the way his tongue brushed his gap when he made a 'th' sound. kairi recognized that it was a weird thing to notice, and an even weirder thing to like, but he didn't care. honestly, he just wished mattia's words and attention were being directed at him. 

kairi'd hoped that he'd made it clear he wanted his attention by now, what with the way he was sitting and staring at him and all. but mattia seemingly had no interest. instead, he stared up at the ceiling, more interested in what roshaun had to say. he continued to speak enthusiastically and laugh deeply from his belly. kairi had to force himself to ignore the way mattia's abdominal muscles would strain and flex with the laugh.

kairi huffed, giving up. he rolled onto his back, getting even further away from the boy he was angry at. he pulled out his phone and pulled up his text messages. the ones that caught his attention were from alejandro. the first was an address and time, the next was explaining that there was a party some kids from their rival high school were throwing and that he and some of their friends planned on crashing it. his final text essentially threatened his and mattia's life if they didn't show up.

kairi laughed and typed out a small response, promising he'd at least be there but that he'd try to make mattia come too since they did didn't seem to be in great terms. him and alejandro talked back and forth for awhile, about nothing in particular. small jabs at each other and shitty memes that made kairi giggle and smile the entire time.

"-airi? kai!" his deeply familiar voice came booming from above him.

"yes, mattia?" he exasperated, barely glancing at mattia before going back to his texts. his voice was accidentally more annoyed than he actually was. sure, mattia had upset him but kairi couldn't actually be mad at him.

mattia hesitated, a thoughtful expression on his face, "what's so funny? who you texting, kaikai?" kairi could hear the eggshells mattia walked on. mattia obviously wasn't trying to be controlling, but kairi could feel that he was making mattia feel insecure.

"nah, it's not important. but anyway, alejandro texted me and said there's a party him and the boys are crashing. i'm going. are you?" kairi announced, purposely making it seem like the person who was making him laugh and alejandro were two separate people out of spite. he didn't want to be snappy with mattia, but the phone call and the way mattia easily snubbed him was still too fresh in his mind.

kairi watched as mattia looked a little taken aback, he scoffed, sitting straight up on his bed and looking harshly at kairi before scooting back a little. it was weirdly tense in the room, the feeling between them was new.

kairi and mattia don't fight. they just don't. everybody knew that.

"so you're gonna go without me? don't we usually decide stuff like that together?"