Chapter Ten

Practice Makes Perfect

recommended song: Blood On Our Hands by KNGDAVD

recommended song:
Blood On Our Hands by KNGDAVD

-

"Again." Loki barked, circling around the room as Cora stood a moment to catch her breath.

"Give me a minute." She panted, bending over to rest her hands against her knees.

"You won't have a minute when you're out in the real world." The god replied sharply. "On this mission that you begged for, you cannot afford to make any mistakes. If you do, that's it, our covers are blown. So no, I will not give you a minute. Now, do I need to repeat myself? Let's see it again, Cora."

Cora dragged her palms from her knees and stood up straight, taking one deep breath in before closing her eyes and concentrating on her power - just like Loki had taught her. Once she felt it pulsating throughout her body, she pictured what she wanted to do in her head, willing a mirage to form around her. Opening her left eye just a smidgen, she gave a satisfied nod at her appearance before turning her attention toward Loki. She could feel his power. It was weak and restrained, but it was there. Slowly, she pushed her power towards his. She imagined how she wanted to shape his form, and allowed her magic to cast a second mirage over him.

"Good." Loki's voice echoed throughout the room. "You've successfully created an illusion over us both. Now hold it."

Cora's breathing slowed as she used her energy to power the illusion. Her eyes were shut tightly in concentration as she focused on keeping it up. She probably wouldn't have even heard Thor enter if it wasn't for the sound of his breathing being the only thing to be heard in the room.

"Open your eyes, Cora." Loki chided. "If you can't cast an illusion without having them shut, how do you expect to keep our cover in check?"

"I'm trying." Cora fought back, slowly opening one eye and then the other, barely getting enough time to process the illusion she had cast before it faltered and disappeared.

"Five minutes." The god of mischief scoffed. "You lasted five minutes."

"I'm doing better than I was this morning!"

"And I'm sure you'll be doing even better by tonight!" Loki responded sarcastically. "But that isn't going help you by the time of the gala!"

"Loki." Thor growled. "That's enough. There's no need to be harsh."

"Cora is not going to be able to use her powers with the precision that I have, Thor. She's learning material that I gathered over a span of several hundred years. I know she has come a long way in such a short time, but what we're trying to accomplish is next to impossible, brother. There is no way she will be an expert in shapeshifting in two days."

"Why are you so sure that I'll fail?" Cora whispered.

"I'm not." Loki sighed, running a hand through his raven hair. "I'm trying to make you see - make you both see - that making a mistake is not an option. Cora, if you falter, I won't be able to help you, and S.H.I.E.L.D. could capture you."

"I know that." She took a step forward, meeting his intense gaze. "But I believe that with your guidance, making a mistake won't be something to worry over. I just need a bit more time."

"At least give her that, brother." Thor looked over at his brother with a hopeful expression.

"Fine." Loki nodded. "Again."

Thor gave Cora a nod of approval before leaving the room and heading out to the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier. Four hours later, he returned to find Loki seated on the couch and Cora still hard at work training. The god of thunder quietly sat down beside his brother as Loki slowly sipped from a cup of what could only be assumed as tea.

"How's she doing?"

"She's learned to hold her illusions for quite some time now." Loki replied with no emotion in his voice.

"That's great!" Thor grinned, his smile faltering when he noticed the frown on his brother's face. "Isn't it?"

"I don't know if it will be enough." Loki responded. "If we're there any longer than we need to be, she could grow exhausted from the loss of energy. Not only could our cover be blown, but her health could be compromised. She'll need to heal all of tomorrow to get her strength back after the training she's done today. Who's to say what will happen after holding an illusion for several hours."

"I understand your concern, brother." Thor sighed, patting Loki on the back. "But we need to have faith in her. I believe Cora can get you both in and out of that gala without S.H.I.E.L.D. noticing. You have to feel it in your gut. Everything will go just fine."

"You sound like one of those dumb inspirational posters the humans buy to hang up on their walls."

"Maybe they're onto something." Thor laughed. "I agree that Cora should get some rest, though. She'll need it to be prepared for what's ahead."

Loki nodded, setting down his cup and standing from the couch. In a few long strides, he reached the room Cora was training in, crossing his arms and resting against the doorframe. He watched her intently as she stood with her back to him in concentration. She had made herself look exactly like Thor, which he amused him. Waiting a few moments more, he cleared his throat, wanting to make himself known. Cora's facade seemed to shutter for a moment, before she turned around, still facing him as Thor.

"Very good, pet." Loki gave her a satisfied smile. "You've learned to disregard distractions."

"I told you I'd get better." Cora grinned, finally letting her illusion fall.

"You did." The god chuckled. "But now it's time to give your body a rest. You've practiced as much as you can, I don't want you to wear yourself out. Come, let's head to bed." 

-

hi my lovelies!! I know it's been forever, but you all loved this story so much that I wanted to set aside some time to try and get another chapter out! I hope you all enjoyed it! Don't forget to follow my Instagram (@ivoryconfessions) to see new promos for all of my books and find out about the next chapters before they're posted! Love you all!
xx lavender baby 💋

Made to be MineOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara