Chapter Nine

After All, She Is Your Protege

recommended song:Bad Decisions by Frame

recommended song:
Bad Decisions by Frame

-

Several weeks had passed since Cora first learned to use her telepathy and now Loki was teaching her to shape shift. The task proved to be the most difficult for her so far, but as Cora had shown before, she wasn't willing to give up.

She was currently getting ready for bed following a long day training with Loki. She was able to hold her illusions for about an hour now and was close to being able to transfer them to other people. As she crawled into bed, the sound of the compound door opening caught her ears. Thor had left early that morning to return to S.H.I.E.L.D. after Nick Fury had called him in for a mission. Cora sighed peacefully knowing that he was okay, before her head hit the pillow, eyes closing. But moments later, she heard the hushed tones of Loki and Thor coming from the main room. They sounded concerned. Sitting up, she slowly crept out of her bed towards the closed door. Pressing her ear against it, she strained to make out what they were saying, but all she could decipher were their muffled voices.

She wondered if she could hear them another way...

Curiosity getting the best of her, she closed her eyes and reached into Thor's mind. He was the best option. She could get in and out without him even noticing. Loki, on the other hand, would've been able to tell if she was in his head instantly. Latching on to Thor, she concentrated heavily before she was finally able to hear the conversation from him directly.

"How could you let this happen?!" Loki snarled. "You were supposed to watch S.H.I.E.L.D.!"

"I've done my best, brother." Thor replied quickly. "But since Cora's escape, Fury has everything under lock and key. I wouldn't have been able to tell that they were experimenting again even if I was looking to."

"Do you know anything this time around? Who have they picked as the subject?"

"Another young female. This one is an agent. I've seen her out in the field."

"Does she know what's going on?"

"My best bet? Yes. She doesn't seem like somebody that's kept in the dark. I'm guessing she signed up willingly."

"Anything for the cause, right?" Loki sighed. "We need to stop this, Thor. Before S.H.I.E.L.D. has a chance to do it again. If they create another soldier with my DNA, we might not be able to reach this one, especially if she's already aware of the plan."

"We might have a chance." Thor cut in. "Fury's arranged a S.H.I.E.L.D. team to go to a charity gala at Avengers Tower in two days time. Word has it that Stark and Banner are working on something to aid in the experiment. If we can get in there and destroy whatever they've created, we might have a shot at stopping them."

"I want in." Cora pushed the door open, pulling herself from Thor's mind as she slipped into the room.

"Were you listening through the walls?" Loki narrowed his eyes.

"No, I accessed Thor's mind."

"Naughty girl." He shook his head and sighed. "I knew there was a hesitation to teaching you how to invade minds."

"Wait, you were in my head?" Thor grinned. "I didn't even notice. She is good, brother."

"I want to help, Loki." Cora pressed, looking up at him. "You said it yourself, I'm learning fast."

"Yes, you are learning at a rapid rate, but that does not mean you are ready to go into the outside world. Your powers are unpredictable."

"You were fine in the world when you had your magic." She huffed.

"I've had a thousand years of practice."

"I can help, Loki." Cora stated, meeting his intense gaze. "If Thor goes in alone, he's going to get caught. I've worked with S.H.I.E.L.D. long enough to know a gala thrown by Tony Stark will be heavily guarded. Thor doesn't stand a chance. His cover will be blown if he does this by himself."

"So what are you proposing, hmm?" Loki asked in a challenging tone.

"I go in with him. I've learned how to shape shift and can hold it up to an hour now. While he's busy distracting S.H.I.E.L.D., I'll go in and destroy whatever invention they've made."

"No." Loki frowned. "Absolutely not."

"But-"

"Do you realize how much danger you will be putting yourself in, Cora? S.H.I.E.L.D. has been searching for you for months. Imagine if they found out that their experiment was a success? What then? Will they cut you open? Will they train you like an animal until you've become one of their super soldiers?"

"Brother," Thor cut in. "I think this might actually be a good idea."

"Tell me you're joking."

"If Cora is there, I'll be able to maintain my cover. If she can shape shift, she can slip in and slip out without anyone knowing."

"There is no way we're sending her in alone, brother."

"I won't be alone. I was going to suggest you come with me." Cora whispered under her breath.

"I don't have my magic, Cora." Loki reminded her gruffly.

"No, but I can learn how to project my abilities onto you."

"You want to shift both of us?" The god raised an eyebrow. "Do you know how much energy that'll exert?"

"Please, Loki, I can do this." Cora pleaded, gazing at him with her warm brown eyes.

Loki's expression softened as he saw the determination on her face. It was the same look she had whenever they had trained together.

"Fine." He sighed. "As long as you never leave my side, understood? If we go, we're all in this together."

"We'll make sure nothing happens to her, brother." Thor smiled.

Cora gave him a toothless grin.

"Go get some rest." Loki sighed, trying to calm his tense muscles. "We'll start training in the morning on shapeshifting others."

She nodded obediently, retreating back to her room with one last smile.

"I don't like this one bit." Loki growled once she was out of earshot.

"We knew this day would come, brother." Thor sighed. "She's ready."

"And what if she's not?"

"Don't doubt her, Loki. After all, she is your protege. She'll do just fine."

-

I had originally written this chapter about a week ago and the entire thing got deleted, so naturally I had to restart. I tried to remember everything that I had put in here before, but it's still not my favorite, so I apologize if it sucks in any way 😂 I hope you all enjoyed! Don't forget to follow my Instagram (@ivoryconfessions) to see new promos for all of my books and find out about the next chapters before they're posted! Love you all!
xx lavender baby 💋