18

Aizawa was back with a wheelchair within ten minutes, and after a brief check by her doctor, she was cleared to be escorted to Nighteye's hospital room.

She picked nervously at her fingers as she was led down the hall, and sucked in a deep breath when she was rolled into his room. All Might and Deku stood beside his bed, and when she was pushed further into the room, Deku turned over his shoulder to look at her. Tears brimmed his eyes, but he looked happy to see her nonetheless.

"Is that... Rin?" She heard Nighteye's voice and instantly straightened up. She motioned for Aizawa to roll her closer to his bed.

"It's me... Sir," she replied quietly. She placed a ginger hand on the side of his bed. "I'm here."

"I saw you... code in the ambulance," he said raggedly. "Are you... a-are you alright?"

"Yes," Rin nodded. "I'm fine, Sir. Please don't worry about me..."

"That's... a relief," Nighteye gave her a closed eyed smile. She felt her lip quiver. "I can't help... but worry. I'm glad... we got to meet."

"S-Sir." Rin managed. Aizawa placed a hand on her shoulder.

"So charming," Nighteye breathed out. "You are... so... charming."

"Sir!" Togata's voice made Rin whip around to see him clutching the doorway of Nighteye's room.

"Mirio." Rin said, and he took Rin's hand when she lifted it up to him. The other clasped onto the foot board of Nighteye's bed. "Please, live! You can't die!"

"Mirio..." Nighteye's brow scrunched weakly. "You suffered so much because of me... if only... I had been..."

"It was... because you taught me that I was able to become strong!" Togata cried brokenly. Rin did her best to keep herself together and squeezed his hand. "It was because you taught me that I'm able to live like this now! Please, teach me more!"

Togata's entire body trembled as he sobbed silently. Nighteye rose his arm shakily to press a hand on Togata's cheek.

"Mirio..." Nighteye smiled. "You'll be fine. You'll become a finer Hero than anyone else... this is the only future... that shouldn't be changed... so, smile..."

Rin pressed her free hand over her mouth and squeezed her eyes shut. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and in that moment all she could think about was Beau. She had been through this before... had experienced this kind of loss, and she couldn't even begin to imagine how helpless Togata was feeling. His grip on her hand was desperate as he clenched his jaw, and he looked down rigidly as he cried.

"Smile..." Nighteye said again. "A society without cheer and humor... will not have... a bright future..."

Silence fell in the room as Nighteye's monitor flatlined, and Rin set a wobbly hand on Nighteye's leg. He died with a smile on his face, but Rin couldn't help the sob that ripped its way out of her mouth when she pressed her forehead against the surface of Nighteye's bed. Her chest ached miserably, and the harder she cried, the tighter it felt.

"Shhh..." Aizawa knelt down beside her as a nurse took Togata out of the room. "Calm down... shhh..."

A gut wrenching sob was all that she could offer, and Aizawa pulled Rin into his arms comfortingly. She held onto his shirt like her life depended on it, and she tried with everything in her to get herself to stop crying, to no avail.

"Come on," Aizawa said gently. He tried not to look at Nighteye as he stood to wheel her out of the room. "Let's get you back to bed."

Rin's body hung weakly in her seat. She stared hopelessly at her lap with her hands clutching the armrests of her wheelchair, and her breathing was terribly erratic. Drowsiness struck her by the time they got back to her room, and Aizawa lifted her into her bed whilst pulling the covers over her limp body.