"I even read in one book that there's a whole vampire city! It's hidden away somewhere, and only vampires can find it! Isn't that crazy?!" She proclaims and I freeze. Could she be talking about Roris?

Quickly, I recover from my shocked state and try to play it off. She's only talking about folklore. It would be crazy for her to actually believe any of this.

"Where did you read that? There's no way that's true," I brush off, almost rolling my eyes at how insane it sounds. Hidden vampire city? I know nothing about that.

"Just in an old book. I don't know, I kind of believe it. Maybe one day I'll try and find it," she says dreamily. I can't help but scoff.

"I wouldn't waste your time. If it's true, I'm sure no human would ever be able to find it," I try not to feel bad at the look of disappointment that crosses her face.

Looking up, I realize we aren't walking towards the large library, but instead into a concealed alley between two buildings. How did we get lost?

However, when I turn back to May, I know this isn't accidental. She has a stake pulled, where she got it I have no idea. My eyes widen and I try to flash away, but her leg sticks out and trips me, landing me on the ground. Quickly, I get up and face her. I know my eyes must be red, but she doesn't look the least bit terrified. I should really stop trusting people.

"Who are you?" I hiss, adjusting into a defensive stance. I'm not afraid of the small redhead, but I can't be sure she doesn't have friends nearby.

"I should be asking you that. What's a pureblood doing out here?" She shoots back, lowering the stake and crossing her arms. She doesn't want a fight, only answers.

"That's my business. How did you know I'm a pureblood?" I question, not relaxing my position.

"I've seen enough vampires to recognize one in the human world. The unpure wouldn't be out during the day. The sun would kill most of them. Now why are you here?" She asks again. I narrow my eyes, debating on what to tell her. The truth is out of the question. I don't know who she is or what she wants. What lie would get me out of here the quickest?

"I told you, I'm just passing through. If you don't mind, I'd like to get on with my day," I tell her, going to step by her, but she blocks my path. I know I could easily get away, but part of me wants to know what her play is.

"Purebloods don't just past through towns like this. The last two we had killed almost a dozen people. That's why we're stationed out here now," she answers, her face much more serious than it had been minutes ago.

"We?" I look at her in confusion.

"Hunters. Your kind aren't welcome here," she replies in a low voice. For God's sake. Vampire hunters? Seriously? No one thought to tell me about this?

"I have no idea who you are or what you want from me. I promise I'm not going to hurt anyone. Please, just let me leave. I've had a pretty shitty week and I don't need anymore problems," I explain, quickly growing frustrated with the situation.

Pinned in an alley with a vampire hunter I know nothing about. I don't even know what a hunter is. A jacked up human out for blood? A group of kids looking for a thrill? I'm not even sure if this girl is a real threat or not.

"What family do you belong to?" She asks, tightening her grip on the stake. Groaning, I know this will be hard to explain. I know how vampires feel about crossbreeds, and I can't imagine these 'hunters' have a much better perspective on them.

"I'm not a noble. Just a lone pureblood trying to get by," I smile fakely, hoping the explanation is good enough. But of course it isn't.

"We both know that's not how it works. If you're a pureblood, you belong to a noble family. You either tell me the truth or this is about to become a whole lot worse for you," she threatens and it takes everything in me not to laugh. I can drop her in half a second and not even break a sweat.