IV

HOPE

Sitting in the coffee shop, I savor the smell. As a vampire, all my senses are heightened so the smell is even stronger than I remember. I love it.

As I sip my iced coffee, I stare out the window and watch all of the people walking by. I'm envious that they all get to enjoy their human lives. Most of them will never appreciate the true simplicity of being mortal.

When the chair across the table from me is pulled out and occupied, I become alert and get ready to run. However, when I see it's just a young girl, I relax slightly.

"I noticed you were sitting all alone. I'm sorry if this is strange, just figured everyone deserves a friend," she shrugs, smiling unsurely at me. I study her for a moment before replying.

Red hair, blue eyes, and a small frame similar to mine. Nothing about her says danger.

"It's not strange. I'm always open to making a new friend," I reply, smiling back. She seems to ease up a little at my response, happy that I'm not totally freaked out by her approach.

"My name is May," she announces, reaching her hand across the table. I happily accept her handshake.

"I'm Hope. It's nice to meet you," I genuinely tell her. It's been a while since I've met someone without a sinister agenda for me.

"Are you from around here? I don't recognize you and it's a pretty small town," she explains, taking a sip from her coffee.

"I'm just passing through. I was hoping to use the library for some research for a school project I have, I'm killing some time before they open," I respond. I can't really tell her I'm trying to find the vampire mother of my dead vampire brother who was killed by my evil vampire father. It doesn't really roll off the tongue.

"That sounds fun! What's your project on? I love school, but I'm home schooled so I don't get the full experience. I can't wait to go to college next year and see what it's all about!" She exclaims, her voice coming out fast and excited. She reminds me of an older version of Eevie.

"Mythology. Vampires and all of that. I don't really believe in it, but I have to do it all the same," I shrug my shoulders casually, trying to make my story believable. How I wish vampires didn't exist.

"Oh I definitely believe in all of the old myths. There's no way humans are the only thing out there. I always thought it'd be interesting to try to dig up all the information and find something," she replies, smiling as she talks with her hands. I'm jealous of her energy levels. Even if I slept for a week straight, I don't think I could ever be this energetic.

"I guess we'll never really know," I tell her. I want to change the topic to something that won't potentially expose me.

"I could help you with your research! If you'd like," she calms down near the end of her sentence, realizing she may be intruding. My eyes widen at her offer. I feel rude saying no, but I can't really explain I lied to her about what I'm looking for.

"Sure. I'm heading over in ten minutes, I'd love the company," I lie, trying my best to smile. This just became much harder. I wish I wasn't so kind.

"Thank you! If you'd like, we can head over now. They always open a few minutes early," she tells me, already moving to stand up. I smile tightly and stand, starting to get slightly annoyed. I may have signed up for more than I can handle.

While we head to the door, I trash my empty cup and try to zone out what May is saying. She's rambling on about random things and most of it goes in one ear and out the other.