43 ; A part of her

October 08, 2018

"Mrs. Minatozaki.." Dr. Sung greeted, raising an eyebrow later on as he sees me follow after my mom inside his office.

"Oh, this is my daughter Sana," my mom said as she lightly pushed me forward, and I only waved timidly. "She wants to know what's going on,"

"Mrs.." the doctor shook his head.

"I know, I know," my mom said slowly. "But this is her father we're talking about and she needs to know everything you're about to tell me,"

The doctor sighed and then nodded. "Very well then,go on, have a seat. We have a lot of things to discuss before I have to go to the ER,"

My mom and I sat down on each recliner beside one another in front of the doctor, only then did we notice a man in a suit and tie, holding a gray small filecase, on the other side of the room, walking towards the other recliner in front of the doctor's table.

"This is Attorney Billy Gertsmann," Dr. Sung introduced, "unfortunately, the husband of the heart donor will be late. He's on his way though,"

"I'm here to represent him until he shows up," the lawyer continued with his thick australian accent. "There was something urgent that he needed to do,"

"That's fine," my mom shrugged, smiling lightly at the lawyer.

"Shall we start?" The doctor asked.

The attorney along with my mom nodded as I stayed quiet, watching the three of them in silence.

"Very well then," the doctor cleared his throat before speaking. "According to my findings, the donor and Mr. Minatozaki are a match which you guys already know. The family of the donor aren't backing out of the donation, just so you know,"

I heard my mom release a deep breath and the statement calmed my uneasy nerves.

"We're planning to do the surgery tomorrow at 3 in the afternoon," the doctor continued. "I just want to say that first and foremost, I cannot promise you that the transplant will be a success. There's a fifty-fifty chance of it failing, and that's an inevitable outcome for most heart transplant operations. But we're reassuring you that we will do our very best to make it 100% successful,"

"Thank you so much, doc," my mom sniffled, grabbing both my hands in her own as she caressed them.

"Wait," I interrupted, which caused the three of them look at my direction. "But my mom told me that the eldest daughter didn't want to sign the contract which allows you guys to pull her mother's life support off," I said in confusion.

"Yes that's certainly right," the lawyer nodded.

"How will that work then?"

"That's a good question, Ms.—"

"Sana, just call me Sana,"

The lawyer nodded, continuing. "—Sana, we did some background check and we found something that might have given us the authority to not need the eldest child's signature,"

"What is it?" My mom asked.

"A decade or more, there had been an accident..."

The lawyer was cut off by a nurse opening the door and letting someone else enter the room.

I stood up abruptly as I watch the man look at me with the same confusion and surprise written on his face.

"Sana?" Mr. Chou said in shock.

"Lukard?" I said in the same tone. "You're the..."

"And you're the..." He trailed off.

"Mr. Chou, come have a seat with us. We were just discussing about something that concerns your eldest daughter,"