part 3; chapter seven

"We only have eight hours left," Poe said. 

As the minutes had passed, it became clear that things were at a standstill. Tension was high. You sat beside Rey, one hand on the small of her back, offering a small gesture of comfort to your friend, who was so full of grief and regret that she couldn't even look at anyone.

"So what are you gonna do?" Finn asked. "We gotta go back to base."

"We don't have time to go back! We are not giving up." Poe shook his head. "If we give up, then Chewie died for nothing!" 

"Poe, Chewie had the dagger," Finn said. 

"Well then we gotta find another way!" 

"Well, there isn't," Finn said. "That was the only clue to the wayfinder thing, and it's gone."

C-3PO shook his head. "So true. The inscription lives only in my memory now." 

Everyone looked at the droid slowly. 

"Hold on," Poe said. "The inscription that was on the dagger is in your memory?"

"Yes, Master Poe," he said. "But the translation from a forbidden language cannot be retrieved. That is short of a complete redacted memory bypass."

"A complete what?" Finn asked. 

"It's a terribly dangerous and sinful act performed on unwitting droids by dregs and criminals."

Finn lit up. "Let's do that!" 

"I know a black market droidsmith," Poe said. 

"Black market droidsmith!?" C-3PO cried. 

"But he's on Kijimi," he said, tipping his head back. 

"What's wrong with Kijimi?" 

"I had a little... bad luck on Kijimi." Poe shook his head and sighed. "But if this mission fails, it's all been for nothing. All we've done, all this time."

"We're all in this," Finn said. "Until the end."

He looked to Rey, and Poe looked to you. You both stood at the same time, your hands finding one another's. You took Poe's other hand, and he took Finn's. Rey spoke aloud for the first time, "For Chewie."

"For Chewie," you agreed, and you looked at Poe. 

He nodded. "For Chewie." 

C-3PO scurried over and wedged himself between you and Poe. You couldn't help but smile and stifle a laugh, but Poe just looked annoyed as the droid grabbed his hand and pulled it away from yours. 

He pulled away quickly. "Kijimi."

Finn was Poe's co-pilot for the time, so that gave you free reign to look around the ship. Everything was dusty after years of being abandoned on the desert. You were surprised the ship had never been scavenged. You walked along the wall and let your finger drag across the cool metal. A thick layer of tan dust stuck to your fingertip. 

You heard a chirp behind a pile of crates. "BB-8?" He peeked out of the crates, making you laugh. "What are you doing, silly?" As he rolled into the open, a small droid followed him. You jumped slightly. "Oh. Hello."

"Hello," the droid said. 

You slowly lowered yourself to the floor and held out your hand. The droid rolled back, but then paused. You offered a gentle smile and he inched closer a little more. "My name is ___. What's yours?" 

"D-O," he told you. 

You nodded. "BB-8 is my droid. Well, he is all of ours, but he belongs to Poe and me. You can be one of us too. Come on, let's go meet Rey."