Chapter 19

I race after Hugo trying to keep up with him before he hurts Jay. Hugo is much bigger than Jay and I know if he tried, he could really hurt him. I have seen Hugo get into a fight before, only once though, and it was back in England at a football game but my brother, Tommy, was there to get him out of it. Hugo swings for Jays face shouting at him as he does so. Jay doesn't help the situation by flying more punches Hugo's way. Without fully evaluating the risks I jump in between the two of them attempting to break the fight up. Hugo doesn't adjust to me being a barrier between himself and Jay quick enough and his fist is thrown to my jaw. I instantly fall to the ground and weep in pain as I taste blood in the mouth. My hands cup the side of my face were Hugo's fist made contact with. Jay and Hugo instantly stop and what feels like the whole world silences. Naya runs to me reaching towards me and holding my face. "Oh my God Mae, are you okay?" She says worryingly. The initial shock wears off and the pain begin to increase. I let Naya know that I'm okay as I know Hugo will be feeling insanely guilty. Hugo slowly crouches down beside Naya and I, this is when I look up to him and notice his lip bleeding and eye slightly swollen from his fight with Jay. "Mae, I..., I" Hugo stutters as he reaches out to me slowly. I place my hand on his to reassure him that he doesn't need to explain as I understand it was an accident and truthfully my fault.

The crowding around me by Naya and Hugo disappears as I stand denying the help. My hand is removed from my jaw and moves to Hugo's face. "Are you okay, we need to clean you up" I say to Hugo as my fingers lightly trace his new wounds. "Mae I'm fine, but you're not, I hate myself, I didn't know you were there." Hugo says harshly brushing my fingers off of his face. I ignore his comment and begin to walk to the kitchen placed in the inside of the boat. I almost find it strange when I realise Hugo isn't following me or asking me if I am alright, again, even though I am. I return with a damp flannel for the now dried blood on Hugo's face. Naya and Jay are inside as I passed them on my way to the kitchen, I think I am still in shock as to where the fight came from and how stupid Jay was to mention Paige, as it such a touchy and fresh subject for Hugo and myself. Hugo is sat at the edge of the boat; the sun has fully set now and the bright lights of the yacht allow for better lighting to inspect his wounds. When I approach Hugo, he takes the flannel out of my hand and places his hands on my waist instructing me to sit down. I reluctantly sit opposite him and be begins to clean the blood from the edge of my mouth, as when Hugo hit my jaw the inside of my cheek was broken by my teeth. "I am so sorry, I would never mean to hurt you, I don't deserve you and all the crap you have had to put up with the last few days, when we arrive in London I'll come get my stuff from the house" Hugo rambles. My heart drops as the world roll off his tongue. "Hugo, what, no it's okay it was my fault I got in the way, and for everything else none of it was your fault, it was the robbers and then it was Paige none of it was you" I say quickly pushing his hand with the flannel in from my face to get his full attention. He closes his eyes momentarily "Mae, I need time away I shouldn't have reacted or even hit Jay, I need to be by myself and think over things, I don't want to drag you through this" Hugo says emptily without looking at me. "Stop, you're not thinking straight, your adrenaline is too high, Jay was an idiot for saying those things you had a right and a reason to react" I beg desperately. Hugo doesn't say anything, I try to search his face for any emotions or signs for my hope to latch onto, but nothing. His face tells me his mind is made up and he is leaving me. "So that's it, after everything? You chose to give up now" I sob to Hugo, who is still not looking at me. My heart beat quickens and I feel a rush of nausea wave down my body. "I'm sorry" Hugo says eventually looking at me as he stands from the seat. I then also stand grabbing his hands to be as close to him as I can, looking from one eye to another desperately looking to him to change his mind. He detaches himself from my hands and turns to walk away from me, his hands running through his hair as I am left facing the back of the love of my life, leaving me alone.