Chapter 5

"Oh yes. Her necklace. I remember it clearly." Miss Grace said finally bringing her hands together in a clasp. "Yes, I still have it. It's in a drawer upstairs in the storage room."

Imogene breathed a sigh of relief at her response.

Miss Grace turned to face her with a tilted smile. "You kept pulling at it and it was the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen. I didn't want it to be destroyed. I was meant to give it back to you when you got older, but I forgot. I'm sorry that I had it so long."

Imogene smiled her gratitude. "That's okay Miss Grace. Thank you for taking care of it for me."

"Sure, no problem," Grace replied. "You can wait in the hall while I get it okay?"

"Sure." Imogene nodded and Grace left the room. She then stood up from her chair and Aaron did the same. "Thank you so much for all your help, Mother Harrington."

Mother Harrington gave her a bright smile. "You're welcome, dear. I wish I could have been of more assistance. Come on, hug me before you go." She stood up from her chair as she said that. Imogene walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her. "Take care of yourself okay?"

Imogene pulled away. Mother Harrington was the closest person she had to a mother and she was always grateful to her. "Thank you."

Aaron then stepped forward and extended his hand. "It was nice meeting you."

Mother Harrington took his hand and smiled. "Likewise. Please take care of Imogene for me."

Aaron smiled. "I will do that."

After all the goodbyes were said, they both left the room and walked to the hall to wait for Miss Grace.

They waited a few seconds when they saw Miss Grace coming down the stairs with a small box in her hands.

"Here it is." Miss Grace said as she reached the bottom of the grand and winding stairs. She handed the box to Imogene.

"Thank you," Imogene said as she took the box. She then opened the box to reveal a gold necklace with a pendant on the end of it. The pendant was in the shape of a flower. The petals were gold, but the center circle had a blue gem.

"Wow. It's beautiful." Imogene breathed.

"It is." Miss Grace agreed.

Imogene looked up at her. "Thanks again for everything." Grace smiled. "We'll be leaving now."

"Sure. Take care of yourselves."

"Thanks and you too," Imogene replied.

Miss Grace walked them to the door.

"Goodbye," Aaron said when they stood on the porch.

"Bye." Miss Grace said. She waved at them both before she closed the door.

Imogene and Aaron walked back to the car and got in. Even though she didn't get the information she needed. She was glad to have this necklace. It was the only connection to her past life.

As she sat in the car, she looked at the necklace once again. It was small, so it couldn't fit around her neck now. She made a mental note to have it extended because she would really like to wear it.

Hopefully, she can use this to find out more about her parents.

••••••

On their journey back, Aaron looked over at her. "Did you eat lunch before I arrived?"

She shook her head no. "No, I did not."

"We can stop and eat. I had passed a small restaurant on our way here. It should be coming up soon." Aaron suggested.