𝟬𝟬𝟮

❛ CHAPTER TWO ━ AMONG MONSTERS ❜𖤐¸𓍢 ━━ ❪ ACT ONE OF SOULBOUND ❫ ˖ ୧ 。◟ ✦ NO MATTER WHAT HE'S STILL DEAN ❞

CHAPTER TWO AMONG MONSTERS
𖤐¸𓍢 ━━ ❪ ACT ONE OF SOULBOUND ❫ ˖ ୧ 。
◟ ✦ NO MATTER WHAT HE'S STILL DEAN

THE LAST 24-HOURS HAD SUKEN in for Olive when she finally had a moment to catch her breath in the Impala. They've been driving down the dirt road to Indiana when the child felt a sudden tug in her chest, prodding in pain when she thought about Sophia and the crash, when she thought about the demon in the cabin. What's worse is that Olive was perfectly fine in the diner, now it was like she was taking ten steps back.

Maybe it was because Olive was too young to process the trauma while it was happening, or maybe it was just because she had been used to the chaos in her life.

No matter which way you looked at it, everything in Olive's heart hurt.

And for as long as Olive could remember, every time she felt an ounce of happiness something bad would come and take it away. Always.

Like the night she lost her parents. She didn't remember much about that night— most likely her trauma trying to shield her from it.

But she remembered how it started.

Her father wanted to take her out for her fourth birthday. Olive had never been more excited.

One second she was standing at the train station with her father, the next second she was alone.

The four-year-old was abandoned in the dead of winter, surrounded by strangers with the only warmth coming from her sweater.

There had been a young man there, she remembers, who walked up to her. He'd been the only one to stop.

She couldn't place his name. No matter how hard she tried, she simply couldn't remember who he was.

But Olive did remember his warm smile, feeling a sense of familiarity she couldn't place. He sat down beside her with a lollipop in one hand and a teddy bear in the other, both for her— a birthday present.