"In this world, it is said that there is an intangible red string of fate binding two souls who are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break. The earliest sightings of one's thread is around the age of 16."

The newly-turned 16 year-old never believed in this stuff before. She always looked upon these fairytales and superstitions with incredulity. But it could've also been that the idea of some formless thing concluding that her life wasn't complete or happy without someone by her side pissed her off to no end. But the glowing string still tied to her was almost undeniable. Was there really such a thing as a soulmate? Was it even necessary? She stared deeper into at the red string, her mind exploding with new thoughts and ideas.

Although a knocking on her door severed through her reverie. "MJ," her brother called out, "Can I come in?" Her eyes shifted from her pinkie to her door before hiding her tied hand behind her and allowing him in. "Hey." "Hi," she said still nervous about the glowing thread behind her. "Did you need something?" He shrugged, "Just wanted to check up on you. How was today? Sorry I missed out, I had school work to finish."

Her brother, probably the only caring person in her family, was attending college now and even had his own job. So she didn't see him as much as she'd hope. "It's okay, you didn't really miss much anyways," she sighed. He glanced at her sympathetically understanding that it was simply just their family dynamic. He pulled her into a hug which she returned. "Well, how about tomorrow I could make it up to you. Beach?" Michelle rose her brow at that.

"And get sand in my toes?" "I'll get your favorite ice cream..." he pleaded sing-song. "Deal." She said quickly making him chuckle. "G'night, Chelle," he kissed her forehead and retreated back to his old room. And after making sure his door was closed and everyone else was occupied, Michelle shut her own. She grabbed the nearest jacket and her phone, heading out the window and down the ladder that was coincidentally placed there. Letting her curiosity lead her as she followed the glowing, stretched red thread.

oOo

Michelle noticed the string was getting shorter as she made it to downtown Queens. As she continued to let the string guide her, she also noticed a crowd gathering around the corner. It wasn't new as New York was always packed even at the dead of night, but it was odd to see them gathered with awestruck expressions. She walked over and tiptoed to see what the crowd had been staring at to find one fully suited hero taunting some thieving criminals.

As she tried to get a better look over the sea of people, she noticed the thread shifting and pulling, indicating that her soulmate was near. She fought the urge to stay and admire the fight, and decided to follow the string instead. Walking into the crowd that was slowly dispersing after Spider-Man webbed up the foes, Michelle was trying her hardest to not lose sight of the string but it was hard with all the people pushing past her.

Someone must've shoved her too hard because she then found herself stumbling into the street where a flashing light was heading straight for her. For a second, Michelle was frozen in fear and she did the one thing that came to mind: shut her eyes and hope it wasn't a painful death. But seconds past, and she didn't feel anything but the night wind blowing through her. She peeked one eye open to see her feet were no longer on the ground and a body holding her tight.

Subconsciously, Michelle wrapped her arms around her savior's arms as they swung through the air, landing on a nearby building's rooftop. She untangled herself from the hero, taking a second to let go of the breath she didn't realize she had been holding. "Are you alright, Miss?" The figure asked. Voice clear, despite the mask.

Michelle paused for a second before nodding, "Y-yeah, thank you." Her tilted head finally looked up, brown eyes staring into chrome lensed ones. As cliche as it sounded, the whole world seemed to fade away leaving only them, mesmerized by the sight of one another. Spider-Man couldn't help but stare at her beauty as the wind danced through her hair, and Michelle felt some unseeable connection between them but she couldn't pin it exactly.