Chapter 13

"Allahu Akbar Allahu Akbar" was the first sound Caleb heard that day. It was coming from Woodpecker Island Central mosque which was a few meters away from his house.
The call to prayer had barely ended when the cocks crowed. The house was not far from a poultry and that made the crowing very loud.

He yawned lazily, as he sat upright on the bed, stretched his arms and upper body then he stood up, walked into the restroom and came out about a minute later.
He walked towards his wardrobe and pulled out a green coloured sweatshirt and its trousers. He hummed a tune to himself as he removed his pyjamas and put on the clothes he just brought out of the wardrobe. After putting on the clothes, he bent down before the wardrobe and picked up a pair of green trainers which seemed to be made for the clothes he wore.

Soon, he was set for his jog and he made his way out of the house. As he walked out the main door, a scent filtered into his nose that stopped his movement. The scent was like ripe pineapple mixed with peach, rose and hibiscus. The scent was so good and so powerful that he was forced to search for its origin and it did not take long for him to find it. The plant had very long vines and its leaves were in a diamond shape. The plant was in the midst of the row of flowers which adorned the building's walls on the left side. He wondered if this plant was there the previous night because he had taken it upon himself to take care of the flowers and he does not remember seeing this strange sweet smelling plant the previous day. Where did it come from? How did it fmgrow so fast? What does it do?

He was brought back from his thoughts by the horrible sight of the decaying plants before him. Flowers that were flourishing just a few seconds ago had turned dark brown and dried up. He moved closer to the flowers but was stopped by his own lungs. His breathing became strained. His lungs felt full. He knew something was happening so he immediately turned back. As he got weaker he kicked hard on the door and it was opened immediately by a servant.

"Lock all doors and windows, now" he said amidst heavy breaths.

He made his way to his rooms as the servant obeyed the directives. He had a jar filled with a special concoction given to him by the Evillord Knights as an antidote to all forms of illnesses. He hoped to find it soon as he entered the room. He opened a small compartment at the top of the top of the wardrobe ant the antidote was standing there in its jar waiting for him.
He opened it and stuffed a small portion of the small dried leaves into his mouth and swallowed hoping it works. He closed the jar and placed it back in the compartment. Two seconds later he fell down unconscious.
*
His eyelids got their powers back suddenly and they separated, he could see that he was on the bed and all of the family was in his room. He stood up immediately startling everyone.

"Hope the doors are not open?" He asked

"No" Kabirat replied

"And the windows?" He asked again

"No" Celeste replied "Caleb what is happening?"

"The Harvest" he replied moving closer to Celeste "you need to put me on air now"

"Caleb, talk to us" Kayode said

"I will, but first do as I say" Caleb said
*
In twenty minutes, Celeste had a camera aimed at Caleb who is already in his Hunter suit.
She was sitting on the bed, her laptop computer on her laps and she was furiously hitting the keys.

"It's set" she said after sometime

"People of Woodpecker Island" Caleb started "you may know me as the vigilante called The Hunter. I am here before you now to let you know of a particular form of danger this city is facing right now. I will implore you all to stay indoors, lock all doors, windows and anything that could bring air into your houses. This is all for your safety till I find a way to stop this. I know many will not trust me because of what I have done in the past but this is all for our own good"