Heart of Stone: Story 3: Part 2

Start from the beginning

"What." She demanded, her voice low and annoyed. I didn't think she had it in her.

"What's you favorite color?" I asked. She blinked, the scowl falling from her face, replaced with a look of confusion.

"What?" She asked. I snorted. Her confusion was amusing.

"What's your favorite color? Mines red." I replied. She looked down at her lap, then looked back up at me.

"Black." She mumbled. I smiled, shrugging, before picking up a fry on my plate and munching on it.

"Why does that not surprise me?" I laughed. A very light blush crept across her pale skin, her dark brown eyes dropping down to stare at her hands in her lap again.

"Favorite....Animal?" I asked again. She rolled her eyes, looking back up at me once again. She crossed her arms, and said,

"What do you want from me?" I blinked at her question, the smile on my face faltering.

"I want to be friends, like I said this morning." I said, placing a smile back on my face. She dropped her arms, placing her hands back in her lap. She sighed, before bringing her arm up again and running a hand through her short brown hair.

"Look, I don't know what they put you up to, but I don't want to be a part of it again. So if you'd just leave me alone, that'd be wonderful." She stood up, grabbing her tray and began to walk away.

"Wait!" I quickly shot out of my chair, grabbing her shoulder and spinning her around to face me. She flinched and took a step back when I released her.

"What are you talking about? Who put me up to what? I really just want to be your friend." I said, puzzled at what she'd said a few seconds earlier. She dropped her head to stare at the floor. Her lack of eye contact and confidence was really starting to tick me off.

"Them. The popular kids. You're friends with them, are you not?" She mumbled, shuffling her feet. I sighed angrily, pinching the bridge of my nose with my fingers.

"Yes, sort of. But they never put me up to anything. I have no clue what you think they put me up to!" I almost yelled. Why was I so angry? What had they done to her that she was this afraid to even talk to me? She flinched a little at my raised tone, and looked around at the few people still in the cafeteria. They all looked at us with quizzical gazes. I sighed again, shoving my hands in my pants pockets.

"Look. I really just want to get to know you. They didn't put me up to anything, and I'd like to know why you think they'd do that?" I asked. Her knuckles went white around her tray, gripping it so hard I thought that the skinny girl might actually crack it. She let out a low, humorless laugh.

"Whatever. You don't know half of what they've done to the kids in this school. Just..."she faltered, turning on her heel. "Just stay away for me." And she walked off.

I stood utterly confused and still, watching her walk away to dump the remains of her food in the garbage, then her tray in the sink. She walked out of the cafeteria without a look back, ignoring me.

Someone let out a awkward cough next to me, and I saw a small girl standing beside me, with almost a grimace on her face. She stuck her hand out awkwardly, before I grabbed it and shook it.

"I'm Kasey." She said. Her voice was light an airy, and matched her appearance perfectly. She was short, maybe 5'2, and skinny. Her long, dirty blonde hair was pulled back in a low ponytail, and her green eyes sparkled through the wide circle lens of her glasses, which perched on her perfectly sloped nose. Jeez, girl could be a model. I blinked out of my observation, giving her a tight, closed lip smile.

"Mya." I replied. She returned the smile, a bit more friendly though, playing with her hands.

"Uh, about Jane. I understand you want to be friends with her, but I think it's best you step away. She kind pushed everyone away after what happened." Kasey said. She looked up at me through her glasses, her thumbs fumbling together. I tilted my head to the side slightly, questions forming in my mind.

"What happened?" I asked her. Kasey frowned, looking down at her hands. What's with these people and looking at their hands?!

"She uh, she dated a boy for a while. They broke up on their nine month anniversary, I think it was. He'd said it was all a joke, a prank. I think his name was Jake?" Kasey said. Oh. That would make sense why she didn't like the Popular's. Jake was on the popular boys, the one I'd first asked who Jane was. That would be why he recognized her, and why his eyes sparkled with humor when he saw her. I clenched my fists. Why the Hell would somebody do that?! I looked at Kasey, who had took a step back from me. My anger must have shown on my face, and I was told that I look pretty freaky when angry. I huffed, roughly running a hand through my hair. I gave Kasey a tight smile again.

"Thank you, but I don't think I'm going to leave her alone. I really want to know her, and I think she could use an actual friend." I said. Kasey gave me a sad smile.

"Yeah. I think she could." She said, giving me a small wave as I turned and walked away, then ran as I burst out the cafeteria to find Jane before the next period started.
—-
*edited*

Part 2! What do you thinks going to happen next?
See you next week with part 3!