chapter one

"Please, I'm sorry!" The young boy cried, desperately trying to flee from his father's grip. Only 18, Sano was still under the house of Cain, a slave to his rules - one of which he broke. In this house, there was always dire consequences.

"Daddy, let go of me!" Sano struggled, yet to no avail. He was weaker than Cain, fully under his power.

"Stop it! You know you deserve this!" Cain hissed, fury aflame in his eyes. His grip was tight, almost bone-crushing.

Tears trickled down Sano's flushed face, drenching him and the top of his shirt. A bead of sweat began to form from all of his jagged movements.

Cain twisted Sano's arm painfully, and Sano let out a painful gasp, ceasing to move.

"Please," he panted out, desperate to be free. Cain didn't answer, almost like he didn't hear it. Instead, he shoved Sano onto his back, still gripping his arm.

"I'm doing this for your own good," Cain said, letting go of Sano's aching arm. His large hands suddenly wrapped around Sano's neck, squeezing harshly.

Sano let out a gasp before he was cut off, Cain's fingers digging into his flesh. He scratched at Cain's hands, squirming beneath him pathetically. Cain pressed down with his knees onto his stomach to keep him still.

Tears burned Sano's face as he tried to breathe, failing with each sad attempt. His face was slowly turning blue, begging for oxygen. Just when he was about to pass out, Cain let go and Sano inhaled, the air filling his lungs at a high speed.

Sano took several big, deep breaths and looked up at Cain, who only wore a sour expression.

"You know I hate punishing you, Sano, but you didn't listen. Now," he got off of him, "go get your brother."

Worry immediately filled Sano - Akira's punishments were always much worse than his. It was unfair, but Sano was much too afraid to say anything. He could only hope that Cain would see that Akira didn't need to be punished so harshly, maybe there was a piece of forgiveness in him.

Sano took a moment to breath, and then stood up shakily. He was dizzy for a moment, but that soon went away and a dull ache pounded in his neck.

"Hurry up, I'm getting impatient."

Obeying, Sano went up the stairs, sniffling and shaking. He was afraid for Akira, wishing that he could take his punishment for him, despite him not taking pain very well.

He stood in the doorway, rubbing his eyes tirelessly now that they stung from the saltiness of his tears.

"Aki," he said, looking at his twin brother, whom grimaced when he saw the bruises forming on his neck, "it's your turn."