Chapter 22~ This is War

I let out a quiet sigh as I use my good hand to gently wipe the blood off Pope's face.

  We were sitting on the edge of the boat waiting for JJ to get back.

  "What's this?" Pope ask quietly as he lifts my hanging necklace.

  "Oh, that's nothing," I say quickly, tucking the necklace back into my hoodie.

  "Do we have a first aid kit on here or anything?" I ask, grimacing at the wound on Pope's forehead.

  "No, we don't, but I'll be okay," Pope says as he takes the rag from me.

  "The bleeding slowed down but it needs cleaned, and covered up," I say as I chew on my lip nervously.

  "Thanks mom," Pope says sarcastically. "Don't worry Izzy, I'm fine. I'm more concerned about your hand."

  "It's fine, barely hurts," I lie easily and Pope nods with an unsure look.

  "Listen, Pope. When JJ gets back, don't tell him I punched Rafe, Okay? Also, don't mention Topper hitting me in the stomach either."

  "Are you serious Izzy?" Pope says incredulously, "Why shouldn't I?"

"Please Pope, you know how JJ gets. Who knows how he'll react."

  Pope stares at me for a few seconds like he was debating.

  "Please Pope," I say, sticking my bottom lip out slightly.

  "Ugh, fine," Pope groans, "You're so mean, you know I can't say no to you."

  "Thanks Pope," I flash him a smile and he rolls his eyes.

  "Pope! Izzy!" JJ laughs as he jogs across the pier towards us.

  "You guys are not gonna believe what happened to me!" JJ says as Pope moves to the front of the boat to start it up.

  "That was the best 100 bucks I've ever made," JJ grins as he hops onto the boat.

  "When I say count me in on all these grocery deliveries, Pope, I mean it," JJ says as he follows me into the cockpit.

  I lean silently beside Pope as JJ examines our faces.

  "What's up with you guys? Pope, you good?" JJ says as he leans in closer to study Pope's face.

  "Yo, what happened to your face, dude?" JJ says, standing up and lifting Pope's hat, which Pope yanks back down.

  "What happened?" JJ's jaw tightens as he looks back and forth between Pope and I.

  "Rafe and Topper jumped him," I say quietly, "They said no Pogues on their side of the island."

  "Did they touch you?" JJ ask as he steps towards me.

  "No, no I'm fine. They just messed with Pope," I murmur and JJ lets out a quiet breath.

  "What are you gonna do?" He ask, turning back to Pope.

•   •   •

  "2020 Malibu, 24-MXC, the world's finest wakesetter," Pope says as all three of us stand by the edge of the boat, staring out at Topper's boat parked by the dock.

  "Number one in quality, luxury, and performance," Pope finishes.

  "This is war Pope," JJ says as he watches the boat with a fixated stare.