33|| It's Not Goodbye Forever

Early morning sunlight filled the bright dining room. The long dining table had an array of items spread across it. Sophie sat between Dick and Gar, both of whom were enjoying the pancakes Rachel had made. Kori sat at the head of the table, and Rachel and her mom were across from Gar and Dick.

Sophie couldn't deny that Rachel looked happy to have her mother with her. She had a joyful spark in her eyes like she had just realized she was still allowed to be a child. It warmed Sophie's heart to see her like that. All she wanted for Rachel was the chance to be a normal, happy kid again.

"I can't tell you what passes for pancakes in that place," Rachel's mother spoke, breaking the peaceful sound of forks hitting plates. "But they didn't resemble this. My compliments to the chef."

Rachel smiled happily. "Well it was really mostly him." She motioned her fork over to Gar. He smiled before shoving more of his pancake into his mouth.

Sophie chuckled quietly to herself before she took another bite of her toast.

"Look Rachel-" Dick started.

"I was wondering-" Angela also started speaking. They both paused and she smiled sheepishly.

"Please." Dick smiled and motioned his hand towards her.

Angela paused for a second before she glanced over at Rachel. "Rachel has been explaining your situation to me." She glanced back at Dick. "I understand that this place is on loan."

"Unofficially." Dick nodded. "The owner didn't exactly give me permission to stay here."

"Jeez Dick, you make it sound like we're a bunch of squatters." Sophie joked.

"Well, I may have another option." Angela said, earning a confused look from Rachel. "I have a house in Ohio. It's been in my family," She paused and smiled at Rachel, "our family, for decades. I was hoping that you- all of you are welcomed there for as long as you want. I have more than enough rooms and, it's the least I can do."

Sophie forced the smile to stay on her lips even as the alarm in the back of her head began to ring. Maybe it was just because she had become more cynical in the last few months but everything in her body was telling her not to trust this woman.

"Although," Angela pondered. "I do wonder what happens to your home when you've been locked away for five years."

"Back taxes." Kori piped up as she picked at her muffin. "A ton of unopened mail, I imagine. What'd you have in your fridge?"

Angela raised a brow and gave Kori a confused look, one Kori paid no attention to.

"This could be like our secret base!" Gar sat up right with an excited look on his face. "This is so cool, Right." He looked over at Dick.

Sophie scoffed but her mind was somewhere else entirely. And it looked like she wasn't the only one. Dick and Kori both had a distant look in their eyes, but at least Dick faked like he was actually listening.

"Isn't it, Dick?" Rachel asked, catching the vacant look in his eyes.

He looked over at her and his smile slipped from his face. He didn't have to say a word for Sophie to know what he was going to say. He was leaving. Rachel sighed softly but there wasn't any sadness in her eyes, it was like she knew he was going to leave already.

"Actually Rach." Sophie piped up, catching her attention.

She looked at Sophie and a frown began to tug at the corners of her lips. "You're leaving too?"

"Yeah." She pressed her lips into a straight smile. "I need to head back to Gotham."

Rachel nodded and forced an understanding smile. "I get it." Despite the calmness to her voice Sophie could still hear the sadness hidden just below the surface.