31|| Worth The Fall

The penthouse was eerily silent but after everything that had happened at the asylum, Sophie didn't expect much different. Everyone had gone through their own stages of hell. They all just needed a moment to tend to their wounds and cry away their fears.

Rachel seemed to be the only one of them who came out of this ok. She had gotten her mother back. She was given a second chance at a sort of normal life, and she deserved it.

Sophie dragged a hand through her damp hair and sighed. Her head was still pounding from whatever those doctors had done to her, but at least her strength seemed to be returning.

She didn't want to think about what happened back in that metal room but it lingered in the back of her mind.

Her powers were simple. Something about her biology allowed her to create light particles. Since her powers developed she had never lost control of them, until tonight. But she wasn't the only one to lose control.

She came to a stop outside of Dick's bedroom door and gently knocked. Her heart sat in her throat with a kind of uncertainty she hadn't felt in a long time. What he had done in those tunnels was dark and that kind of violence wasn't something she could easily overlook.

The door latch clicked before it was pulled open. Dick stood in the doorway, his skin clean of blood and his brown hair fell in his face. "Hey." He spoke softly.

"Hey, can we talk?" She asked. He nodded and stepped aside, letting her into his room.

His room was just like hers asides from the unmade bed and closed curtains. She heard Dick close the door before she turned around to face him. He looked at her with the same uncertainty she was feeling.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as he pushed his clean hair out of his face.

"Better but still tired." Sophie shrugged. "How are you doing? What you did back there, I've never seen you like that before."

"I lost control." His gaze fell to the wooden floor. "I thought that when I left things would have changed, that the violence would have stopped but it only got worse."

Sophie's heart tightened at the sight of the regret behind his eyes. "You're a good man Dick. But you've spent most of your life only seeing the worst parts of the world. It's going to take a lot more than a year for that to change."

"I know." He met her eyes again. "That's why I burned the suit."

"You burned the suit?" Her eyes widened. "Wow, that's a little dramatic." Dick chuckled and scratched the back of his head.

"But, you're more than that mask, more than what Bruce taught you to be." She walked over to him and gently took his hand in hers. "Maybe It's time you follow in my footsteps and find your own identity."

He looked down at their intertwined hands and ran his thumb over hers. "I'm working on that."

"And you'll figure it out. Besides, I'll be here to catch you if you fall." She smiled sweetly.

"Thank you." Dick looked at her with soft, caring eyes. There was a warmth to his gaze that brought her back to the days before he left. The days when her heart beat was in sync with his.

Her eyes fell to their hands and she squeezed his ever so slightly. Her heart began to beat a little harder than before but somehow it was steadier.

He gently pulled her hand towards him and she stepped closer. She looked up at him and studied every beautiful feature on his face. Her gaze coming to a stop at his slightly chapped lips.

Dick leaned into her, his nose brushing against her own. Sophie gulped down her nerves and leaned forwards. Her soft lips met his and the world around them came to a stop.

It suddenly felt like they were the only two people in the world.

Dick let go of her warm hand and placed his hands on her hips, pulling her as close as their bodies would allow. She tangled her hands in the back of his hair and kissed him with all the passion she had in her.

****

Golden rays of sunlight peeked around the closed curtains. It shone down on Sophie, warming her pale skin. Her green eyes fluttered open, taking in the white curtain across from her. She stared blankly at the dull curtains until the sound of soft snores caught her attention.

Sophie's heart stopped as a wave of confusion hit her.

Last night came back to her in flashes. The asylum, Rachel's mom, Dick losing his shit fighting those guards; the kiss.

The corners of her lips tugged up into a smile before she carefully rolled over. Dick was laying on his back, his arm tucked under his pillow and the other over his stomach. His lips were parted slightly and his eyes moved slowly behind his eyelids.

She couldn't help but wonder if he was dreaming of her.

Still in the back of her mind there's a small voice telling her she's making a mistake. Their lives were too complicated to start a relationship right now. Even if it wasn't so complicated, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was betraying Barbara somehow.

Sophie bit down on her bottom lip as she pulled back the blanket and eased out of the bed. She grabbed her hoodie from the floor and shrugged it on.

A part of her wanted to stay curled up in his arms until he woke up, but she couldn't. 

She looked back at him, tangled among the white sheets. He somehow managed to look so effortlessly gorgeous without even being awake.

She smiled at the thought before she slipped out of the sunlit room.