He shot Emery a torn look, pushing up his glasses nervously.

"Only do it if you want to," Emery told him, standing up to put the book back in its place.

"Well, it does sound like he could use some help." Seth's face twisted into an insincere smile.

"Wonderful! Aden will be closing up shop soon. If we hurry, we can catch him. Let me just gather my things."

A fake smile stayed glued onto his features until she was well out of sight. Only then did he let his head fall back and groan quietly. "I literally just got here."

Emery squeezed his arm as encouragement, but she knew this was the last thing he wanted to do after a semester of hard work. "I'll make it up to you when we get back to Wimbourne," she whispered before standing on her tippy-toes to plant a soft kiss against his cheek.

Surprise lit up his tired gaze. "I feel better already."

"Well, let's hurry along." Mrs. Baker reappeared as quick as ever before looping her arm around Seth's and pulling him toward the exit.

"Are you staying? It's getting late," Seth asked.

"Just a while longer," she replied, still waiting for a miracle. "I'll meet you at the house when I'm done."

"Don't overwork yourself," was the last thing he said before being dragged away.

Emery paused to stare at the mess of papers and books that were spread out over the desk, then at the very empty building. It was pointless to go on. She might as well close up for the day and try and find the sheriff for those files. With a feet-dragging sluggishness, Emery walked to the large door and grabbed its handle.

A slight breeze brought in scent of pine as the sun was beginning its descent upon Bellenau. The sky above was painted orange and blue, interrupted by speckles of purple clouds. The forest animals and bugs were preparing their night songs. A symphony of chirps, hoots, and crickets merged together with the rustling of trees.

She relished in the peace and—for a fleeting moment—let herself wonder what'd it be like to live in this town like an ordinary civilian. She and Seth could take up jobs at the local market. Maybe they could harvest vegetables or log wood. No stress, no nerves, no frustrations. Just a quiet, repetitive life . . .

"Emery!" someone yelled.

She peeked her head out the half-closed door to see Sheriff Lila ducking her head out of a cop car and waving at her. Her arms then reached into the backseat, grabbing two cardboard boxes with the word 'EVIDENCE' labeled in big, blue lettering.

Forget "quiet repetition"! She wouldn't trade anything for the rush of adrenaline this brought. Even if it did almost make her go crazy.

"Well, don't just stand there. Help me with these," Lila exclaimed.

Emery sprinted toward the car like a giddy child, holding her arms out to receive her present.

"Sorry for the wait. I didn't realize how much paperwork was involved in getting two lousy boxes out of the station."

"Thank you! You don't know how much I needed these right now," she burst out, her mouth cramping up from her beaming grin.

"Now, I told you, there's not much to go on here. I don't want you to get high expectations."

"Believe me, they're low, but they're a step up from nothing."

Lila rolled her eyes. "Come on, I'll help you carry them inside."

Emery ran back up the steps with the big box in her hands, nearly tripping over her own feet. "You can set them down here." She pointed at a desk as Lila made her way inside.