"The X-Advisors..." Part VIII...

Start from the beginning

Unfortunately no credit to Howie's manful resistance, Kripke having happily rushed to provide the desired info as to address and phone...Though the lovely Dr. Stein was as yet unable to escape the social obligations...Or Kripke, who was demanding a hefty fee in her attention for his information.

As yet...Bernadette nervously concluding her report...Submitted at Howard's request...She glancing over to be sure Dr. Stein, female, was not seeking further data, from more directly connected sources...

Penny, clearly not listening to Bernadette's urgent warnings of potential danger, staring...Holding phone...

Whoa...She blinked...

"Penny?...Is Sheldon ok?" Bernadette anxiously...

Ok, if he's died, I'm sealing this place off and confiscating every plate and glass until cultures are performed...She looked over to see Howard at the buffet table with the President's party...Urgent summoning look...Wave to put plate and drink down...Put them down, for God's sake!

Puzzled but ever compliant, he did so, heading over to them as Raj and Lucy stared.

Ok, I don't mean to abandon dear friends...But so long as Howie's a little safer, we may need reliable exposed subjects...She smiled at the pair.

"Sheldon's fine...Better..." Penny, suddenly, stunned tone. "Leonard just accepted my proposal and told me what I've been praying to hear since I met him..." she eyed Bernadette.

"Guess I won't be one of those actress who has to go through two or three bad marriages to vain jerks till I settle down and meet the sweet love of my life..." she smiled dazedly.

"Ok, there was Zac for number one and he really wasn't so bad..." grin to stunned Bernadette...

"Oh, God! Penny?!" Bernadette, hugging the sobbing Penny...

"Guys?!" Howard had reached them, anxious at the sight of sobbing Penny embraced by sobbing Bernadette...Looking round for any sight of Amy... "Guys?!..." distressed look... "If Sheldon's dead...?"

"No! Howard!" Penny pulled away from Bernadette who frowned at him, calming, assuming pose, extending hand which he blinked at but took on Bernadette's wink and nod... "Penny Hofstadter, very pleased to meet you, Mr. Wolowitz..." she shook hand. "My husband Leonard is a researcher here at Cal Tech..." beam. Howard shaking hand, uncomprehending for a second, then...

"Penny..." he gasped. "Really? For real?"

"For real..." she nodded... "Oh, Howard...You sweet, sweet guy!...Thank you for never turning Leonard into your old self!..." she hugged him. "Thank you for not managing to find him some other girl...And for not dating and losing someone even nicer than that Stephanie...Oh..." she held him close, sobbing...Reaching to, patting Bernadette...

"Hey, guys?" a worried Raj and Lucy had joined them...

Surely this can't be for the death of Sheldon...We're past the years when we might have shed tears of joy...

"Penny and Leonard are engaged!...For real!" Bernadette beamed to him...

Oh? Blink..."For real?...This is for real?"

"Real as it gets, buddy..." Howard grinned...

Smiling nod...Bernadette too eager to rejoin the group hug to catch Raj's hesitation and Howard trapped in said hug...

"Why don't we go get Amy and tell her the good news, eh?" Raj turned to Lucy, gently leading her... "We'll be right back...Great news, Penny."

Raj?...Howard stared after him, though still hugged tight by Penny and, again, Bernadette...They too busy to notice...

"Raj?..." Lucy eyed him as they set out..."Aren't you...Glad...?"

"Oh...Sure..." sheepish tone... "It's just...I'd hoped, I guess...In the back of my mind..."

"Oh..." Woebegone look...Nod... "Penny is very..."

"No...No, Lucy..." he shook head. "I mean...I still hoped, maybe...Just if...Well...See, Leonard dated my sister, Priya for a while..." pause, sigh...Wry smile. "It really would have been very neat to have Leonard for a brother-in-law...And even if I expressed a little 'unhappiness' when they were going out? Like major such..." grin... "I really would have liked her to have a fine and good man like that." Smile. "But I couldn't be happier for Penny, and them both, really...It's good news, indeed."

"You're a sweet man, Rajesh..." Lucy, shyly kissing him on cheek.

.....

"You and Dr. Stein were very good friends...Sheldon and Leonard mentioned it..." Amy noted, uncertain as Dr. Francis led her around the far end of the room, carefully avoiding getting any closer than forced by the slow train of Stein and his daughter about the room, led by President Siebert...One or two people startling Amy by congratulating her on her performance. And...She looked away...But smiled to herself...

Definitely a checkout by that one...And I been with my bestie at enough clubs now watching her on the receiving end to know...She rocked a bit on her unsteady heels, shyly pleased.

Like Penny says, never hurts to be able to hint at a little competition for your beau. After all, my little affair with Stuart and my night of torrid dance with Leonard certain moved things along...

"Once, yes..." Francis nodded. "And contrary to the rumors it was not an academic dispute that drew us apart. We've had our share but it never affected our friendship...At least I believed so...Though Stein adds scientific jealousy to fuel his desire to ruin my life and those of anyone in his or his daughter's way. And you, Amy..." sigh.. "Have become very much, in the way." Hard stare.