Curiosity Killed the Cat

You let out a long and shaky breath as the dropship arrived once again at world's edge. All the training, the fighting, the blood, and bruises to get here, would they be in vain? The months and months you waited for this moment, would they all go to waste? Your eyes glanced around the ship. There were some shady characters in here, to say the least.  Not everyone who's a legend is a hero, and the apex games will take anyone if it means better ratings. The neon green of the infamous Caustic caught your eye, and you felt a shiver run down her spine; that man was a sociopath, anyone with half a brain knew that, and having him on your squad sounded like a nightmare.  Wraith, she was a skilled fighter, that one you could give her, but you didn't trust her and her so-called voices. You wondered what loony bin the apex games had even pulled her from. Wattson was bubbly and cheery as ever, it would be surprising to an outsider to learn she was so skilled in the art of killing, she was in her little corner of the ship, messing with some new trinket. Smiling to yourself, your eyes wandered to the last person that really stood out to you, Crypto, who was shrouded in mystery. He was the previous new legend, and since then not a single ounce more of information about him was given to you, or anyone. You had to admit, you were curious; by looking into his eyes you could see he had suffered, but so had the majority of the legends in the dropship today, tragedy is too common to be an outstanding feature. You weren't an idiot to approach him and ask, like another certain moron, but you were determined to get something, anything out of him- if you ever even got the chance to speak to him. 

  As lady luck decided to have it, the announcement came on that you'd soon arrive at the battle arena, and that squads would be told shortly. You weren't sure who to hope for, in fact, you had more people on the list of who not to hope for. The first squad appeared on the large screen:

Mirage, You, and 

Crypto. 

You and your newly formed squad walked over to the assigned area on the ship, waiting for the dock to lower and the fight to begin. Mirage gave you a warm smile, one that faded quickly once Crypto also arrived. 

"Why do they keep pairing me with this kid?!" Mirage said, rather dramatically as crypto took his place next to you on the lowering dock.

"Shut up old man, and try to keep up," Crypto remarked, calmly.

Alright, so,  fact number one about Crypto: He doesn't get along with Mirage.

After returning a small smile to Mirage, you turned and held your hand out to Crypto. 

"Hi", You started. "I don't think we've met yet. My name is-"

"Y/N L/N, right?" He interrupted, rather coldly.

You didn't even get a chance to say your stage name, Talk about an ass. 

"Uhm, yeah," you gave an awkward laugh. "It's nice to meet you, Crypto!" You put your best fake-nice smile on and continued to hold out your hand. He looked at your hand and turned away while shoving his hands in his jacket pockets.

'This. Freaking. Guy.' you thought.

 The overhead speaker started once more,

"Now arriving at; World's Edge" 

The docks began to lower, and you were hit with the cold air of the epicenter from down below. Crypto was the assigned jumpmaster, and he didn't bother asking either you or Mirage before jumping towards the train yard. 

"Uhm this place is pretty bustin- bustlan- busy!" Mirage remarked, glancing and the several other squads around, and he was right, landing here wouldn't be easy.