1 ° Life

A/N: I have given Wakatoshi's mother a name because Furudate didn't give us the name of his mother, thank you!! And, you're tall.

"Hey Kato, I got into Shiratorizawa with a ninety-six on my entrance exam!" I inform my older cousin. "That's amazing Y/N! Good job," he says while giving me a high-five. "This is awesome! Too bad I couldn't get in on the volleyball scholarship though," I mope. "Don't focus on the past. The only thing that matters is that you got in, and with good scores," he says while patting my shoulder in comfort. "Yeah, I guess so," I mention.

"I'm gonna go ask Takane what we're doing for dinner," I tell him while exiting his room. "Alright," he responds while returning to his desk chair to work on his career plan for his third year of high school. I think back to last October, when I messed up my knee. On a whim I thought it might be a good idea to jump down a fifteen-step staircase. In no way was it a good idea, but I did it anyway.

I was on crutches for a month, putting my volleyball career off for some time. And after a visit to the hospital, I left with no broken bones, but what they guessed to be a sprain of some sort. After a couple weeks I was informed that my knee built up an unusual amount of fluid, but it wasn't a sprain, only a derangement done by popping the joint out of place and popping it back in the wrong place.

It took me a long time to recover. And I still am. Volleyball was no longer an option in fear that I would damage me knee further. I don't want to put myself in a wheelchair for life. It's been a little over five months since I attempted to fly down that staircase; it's the biggest regret of mine currently.

As I reach the staircase leading downstairs to the first floor, I sneer at my destination. Developing a hate for staircases was my way of coping with the situation. So I gradually stomp my way down, hand on the banister, being cautious so as not to tweak my knee the wrong way.

I walk lightly to the kitchen in search for my Aunt Takane. I will forever be in her debt. She took me in when I was just a toddler. My parents being military officers, left to serve in a small military training camp a little while east of Tokyo. After the news revealed an arsonist attack on their camp, a few officers came to our house soon after to inform us that my parents had not survived. I was a ball of difficult emotions for the whole time before I started school. And I still feel sorry for my Aunt and older cousin, Wakatoshi, who had to deal with that me for three years.

After starting school, I found solace in socializing with other kids. And after Takane put me in a club for kids who lost loved ones, I didn't feel so alone. It sure helped Takane; that's a given. And Wakatoshi had developed a soft spot for me in the time that I was dealing with their death. He always made sure to include me when he went places. He always made me feel loved, despite his father leaving only a year after he started elementary school.

It had then been my turn to help support him as well and we grew a mutual love and respect for each other. We've grown up, as close as siblings. He's always looked out for me, helped me, and taught me simple things. His stoic nature didn't remain a part of his life twenty-four seven though. I could be the confirmation of that for anybody else.

"Aunty, what are ya making for dinner?" I ask when I entered the kitchen seeing her at the stove. "Chicken katsu, curry-fried rice, and boiled veggies," she tells me. I lean over her shoulder to observe the pot of boiling broccoli, carrots, green beans, and beets. "Smells good," I mention after taking a wiff. "Of course it does," she comments snarkily. I chuckle at her comment.

"How much longer do ya think for it all to be ready?" I question once again. "It'll be ready when it's ready, child," she remarks. "Humph! Fine, see if I care!" I sarcastically shout into the house. I turn back to see a small smirk adorning her features and smile to myself for lightening her mood. Takane never took her divorce easily. She always seemed to be gloomy.

It was hard to find a job in order to support two kids and a big house. But she did it, and has proven to others that she is strong and independent. That she didn't need a man to support her lifestyle. Although we did decide it would be better to move into a smaller house so that life could be more comfortable for us.

I'm excited for school though; it's going to be fun. Making new friends, trying new things, and giving my best effort will help me succeed. With a school starting in a week, I had all my supplies and necessities for classes.

But it also makes me wonder what club I should join. I can't do volleyball for obvious reasons. But I don't want a stationary club like art or historical literature. Something that could help me stay active but not harm me.

"Y/N, Kato! Dinner's ready," I hear Aunt Takane call from downstairs. "Coming!" I call from just outside my bedroom door. I skip to Kato's room and enter prior to knocking. He has his headphones on and I immediately recognize the opportunity. Creeping slowly and quietly behind him, I raise my hands and drop them to his shoulders while yelling. Out of my peripheral I see his hand coming back to swipe at me but stop it with me left.

"Good to see that your reflexes still work, Y/N," Wakatoshi growls. I smile evily in return. "You know it," I gleam. "Oh yeah, well don't let me catch you or you're going to suffer," he warns. Without a second thought I bolt down the stairs and towards the dining room. When Kato comes down, I'm seated and ready to eat with an innocent smile on my face. "I'll get ya back later," he threatens. "Love ya too, cuz!" I reply with a cynical glare.