Lost {Short Story}

Ka-thump!

   "Ah-ha! Ten points!"

   Clementine's attention was immediately drawn away from her personal journal, the leather exterior worn down a tad from age and the pages stained from food and drinks over the years. She maneuved herself around in her seat, looking through the back window of the blue Honda," Uh, that's not ten points. The zombie is still moving!" the brunette proclaims, turning her skeptical gaze onto the lanky teen in the driver's seat.

   Meraki shrugs her shoulders in response, tapping a random beat against the leather steering wheel as she continues to drive, only glancing back through the rearview mirror before the semi-flattened corpse could get too far from sight," I still hit it in my defense. And stop calling them zombies. We don't know what this whole thing is."

   The freckled latina raises an eyebrow at the asian-american, relaxing in her seat once more," Mer, would you be hitting them if you didn't think they were zombies?" she questions, earning an embarrassed look from her childhood friend," Besides, this is a textbook zombie apocalypse. I mean, it's not Resident Evil type of zombie, but more like 28 Days later type of zombies, which would be a plus for us. Though that's technically a rage virus, but I still count them in the zombie category. But thank god they aren't World War Z zombies. Man! I hate those. Running in huge crowds like rivers, with their wiggly limbs and bodies-"

   "Clem, I love you but please shut up." Meraki says with a small smile, cutting off Clementine's ramblings. The brunette huffs, pouting at her friend with her arms crossed over her chest. Now only hush air filled the car, the only other sound besides their breathing being the tap tap of rocks hitting the underneath of the vehicle. Both teens grew visibly anxious at the growing silence, hating how the quiet allowed their thoughts to run rampid and take over their minds.

   Without a second thought, Clementine reaches down to the bag at her feet and pulls it onto her lap, digging through it until she pulls out a notepad,"How about five points?" the freckled latina suggests, chewing the end of her pen as she glances over at Meraki for her response.

   Distractions. That's how Clementine and Meraki got through these horrifying times. They were just kids, fresh out of highschool. It was supposed to be a great vacation, a fun way for these girls to enjoy being 'official' adults. Clementine's parents flew her all the way from North Carolina back to California to spend a month with Meraki and her family. But those fun plans about going to the beach and sleeping in were thrown right out the window when the zombie apocalypse started, and on the first day Clementine was back no less!

   Meraki's younger step-brother, Micheal, had been bitten by a neighborhood friend earlier that day. That was their first taste of the zombie apocalypse. The image of zombie Micheal's body trapped under a bookcase was forever burned into their memory. Neither of the girls had the heart to kill him.

   Meraki blinks slightly, snapping out of her thoughts when she heard Clementine's voice,"What? No! I hit the zombie, so I get the full ten points!" she declares, shaking her head as she kept her gaze trained in the desolate road ahead.

   "But it wasn't dead. The rule is that you have to kill it when you hit it to earn the ten points-"

   "When did we make up this rule?" Meraki questions with a raised brow, sparing a glance in Clememtine's direction.

   "When we made this game!" the freckled latina says, letting out a dramatic sigh as she sinks down in her seat," And you say I have the memory of a goldfish..."

   The lanky teen laughs at this,"Cause you do Goldie! You forget things so easily-"

   "And yet you can't remember this rule?" Clementine butts in with a playful glint in her warm brown eyes.