Girl On The Bed

"Not for every love there is an equal and opposite love. Not at all! Love doesn't follow Newton's Third Law..!!"

The Letters - Part 1

Girl On The Bed

She was sleeping on the large luxurious circular bed all by herself. The room was dimly lit and the pale moonlight was peeping through the window ajar illuminating her bare cheeks. Her face wore an innocent look and few strands of her loose hair were playing with the wind, irritating her fair skin. Over the crimson bed sheet with floral designs, her shapely legs could be seen distinctly beneath the blanket which was carelessly wrapped around her slim body. The girl was fast asleep; her breasts rising and sinking rhythmically in a slow yet comforting manner.

A current of strong cold breeze paved its way towards the girl through the window curtains and kissed her passionately at various places. She shivered slightly and slowly cuddled herself into a smaller heap pulling her legs beneath the warm and cozy blanket, still fast asleep. It were these little and slow fluctuations in her posture that made Vivek realize that he had been staring at that girl on the bed for a seriously long time tonight.

It took him even longer to assure himself that the girl, who was sleeping on his bed in his bedroom, was real and not a part of his imagination. But she was too pretty!! Too pretty to have one in your own room!! For Vivek she was even prettier than his best possible imaginations..!! Yet there she was! Sleeping soundly right in front of him; her long straight hair flickering with the gentle wind! But the spellbounding sight of her had made Vivek aware of the bitter truth of his life. Even though she had been with Vivek for a year now, he had always doubted his existence in her life. She had been with him yet she was miles away..!!

Vivek got up from the sofa, still not ready to take his eyes off her. His neck was sore as usual (That is what you get when you sleep on the sofa, day after day, which is obviously not meant for sleeping) but he didn't give a damn. He knew he could not just lie down on the bed during the night with the girl; never in her senses she would approve of it!

It was the month of monsoon and the clouds had emptied themselves only two hours ago. Thus the huge room was abuzz with cool wind currents sneaking inside through the window. So though the girl was asleep, her legs were trying their best to shield themselves from the extreme weather. And the denim shorts she was wearing won't help them! Vivek went straight to the bed. For a few seconds he stood beside the bed, gazing intensely at the beautiful view that lay asleep in front of her. It was nearly impossible for him not to look at her long dark eyelashes and her soft luscious lips that moved up and down slowly as she murmured something indistinct in her sleep. Her kissable lips! What if he had not failed to win her heart? What a different world would it have been then!! Shoving aside such thoughts, he pulled the turquoise blue blanket over her body, slowly enough not to disturb her and stripping the wind the chance to touch her bare legs again.

Minutes later, after closing the window, Vivek stood facing the designer walls beside the window. When a few moments had passed his eyes fell upon the crumpled newspaper on the window sill. He picked it up and unrolled it. All of a sudden he found himself surrounded by clouds of despair as he read the date on the newspaper.

July 18th, 2014. Friday.

Due to everything terrible that was going in his life, he had completely forgotten the date today and its vital significance in his life. Exactly a year ago it all had begun!! Tears rolled down his cheeks and soon he felt alone and miserable in his luxurious bedroom.

Not for every love there is an equal and opposite love. Not at all! Love doesn't follow Newton's Third Law..! He had known this earlier yet he was upset tonight. He had loved that girl more than anything. He had wanted her to let him love her, care for her and embrace her with his passionate touches. His love was pure and intense. But somehow he had failed to gather courage to speak out the words to her; the words he wanted to say to her so desperately. Something had really gone wrong.

Was he not worthy of her? Maybe. Maybe not.

Not just a popular architect of South Delhi, he was an handsome, smart and decent guy too. Smart enough to make any young single girl look back at him at least once! He was well-built and nice rippling muscles could be seen on his arms and chest. He was quite rich too and his own bungalow, which he had designed himself, was an epitome of masterpiece. Actually it resembled more a French chateau than just a regular house.

But at this moment everything seemed to have no significance at all. The world around him seemed suddenly dimmer and terribly quiet. He was broken inside. He threw the newspaper across the floor and sat down on the stone cold marble floor, crying his heart out. Why all those months had he failed to express himself, he asked himself. Then he felt like being stabbed in the middle of his chest as the answer came to him.

For the fear of failure! For the fear of rejection! For the fear of hurting her! For the fear of breaking the slightest trace of bond that had kept her near him! Just a very minute and fragile bond! Because he knew already she didn't have any such crazy feelings for him.

She herself had made him sure that she loved somebody else. And then for him it all had ended, before it could even begin.

"Vidisha..!", he cried out softly.

The sound he made was more of a whisper than a call. But somewhere in his heart he still hoped her to listen to it, spring out of her bed and run up to him, wash out his tears with her hands and hug him lovingly. He would then tell her everything, no matter what happens next! For a few seconds his heart thumped ferociously. Just one last hope..!! But she didn't even stir.

He gave up there and then. He knew there was nothing to be done now. He got up, cleared his face off his tears and looked up at the expertly crafted wooden wall clock in his room.

11:50

It was nearly midnight. He must forget all this. He must forget her for now. He must be ready for morning, he thought. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

As he finally made a firm resolution to get himself a sleep before dawn, he caught again the sight of the girl. Then an awful similar ache in his chest seemed to conquer his senses as another set of truths came to him.

It was true that Vidisha was his wife! It was true that today, July 18th, was their first wedding anniversary!! But it was true too that tomorrow it was going to be the end of their relationship..!!

Instantly, Vivek withdrew his gaze away from her.

Collecting pieces of his heart together, he moved towards the corner of the room at his study table. He switched on the study lamp, sat down on the chair beside the table and rested his arms on the thick glass table top. There wasn't sleep in his eyes anymore and he appeared to be engrossed in some deep thought. Every now and then he would stare blankly at the shimmering chandelier at the center of the ceiling. A few moments later he took out a notebook and a fountain pen from an elegant pen-stand on the table and started writing down something slowly.